[McIDAS #SMX-272962]: mcidas question

Hi Sepideh,

re:
> sorry i thought you want the errors that i get and i sent them in the body
> of your email.

You sent me information that you can list the files, but not that you used
the pattern specified in the DIRFILE= keyword of the DSSERVE command
invocation.  This is a crucial step as it will verify (or not) that your
ADDE dataset definition is correct.

re:
> these are the name of the files that i have.
>
> goes07.1990.001.0031.AREA_IR  goes07.1990.001.0431-1.AREA_IR
> goes07.1990.001.0131.AREA_IR  goes07.1990.001.0531.AREA_IR
> goes07.1990.001.0231.AREA_IR  goes07.1990.001.0631.AREA_IR
> goes07.1990.001.0331.AREA_IR
>
> i changed the name as follows so that i can use them more easily
>
> AREA199000100  AREA199000102  AREA199000104  AREA199000106
> AREA199000101  AREA199000103  AREA199000105

The names of the files are not important.  Either should work fine.

re:
> i sent one of the files for you.

I got the file and was able to create an ADDE dataset with it, and I am
able to list information from it.  Here is exactly what I did running
as the user 'mcidas' on one of the machines on which McIDAS is installed
here in Unidata:

-- extract the file you included as an attachment to your email into our
/home/support/attachments directory:

-rw-r-----  1 support ustaff 12850200 2010-09-29 01:00 AREA199000100

-- login as McIDAS
cd $MCDATA           <- verifies that the environment variables for McIDAS
                        have been correctly set

dsserve.k ADD TEST/AREA AREA DIRFILE=/home/support/attachments/AREA\* "UC
IRVINE GOES-7 IMAGE

Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
TEST/AREA                IMAGE AREA                  UC IRVINE GOES-7 IMAGE
                               DIRFILE=/home/support/attachments/AREA*
dsserve.k: done

imglist.k TEST/AREA
Image file directory listing for:TEST/AREA
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
   1  GOES-7 IR      1 JAN 90001  00:31:00    -9  108 7-8,10
imglist.k: done

imglist.k TEST/AREA FORM=BAND
Image file directory listing for:TEST/AREA
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center      Res (km)   Image_Size
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon    Lat   Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ----  ----- ----- ------------
   1  GOES-7 IR      1 JAN 90001  00:31:00    -9  108
   Band: 7    12.7 um Water vapor detection             7.05  3.01   545 x 3822
   Band: 8    11.2 um Night cloud detection, sfc temp   7.05  3.01   545 x 3822
   Band: 10   6.7 um Water vapor detection              7.05  3.01   545 x 3822
imglist.k: done

The above shows that there is nothing wrong with the image you sent.  Your
problems
are, therefore, likely to be one of the following:

- McIDAS is not correctly built or installed on your machine
- you did not correctly or completely setup the account you are
  running McIDAS from
- there was some error in the DSSERVE command invocation

Again, please do ** exactly ** the following and send me the results:

-- get the regular expression you used in the DIRFILE= keyword for the
   DSSERVE command invocation you ran

   Use the regular expression as the value for an 'ls -l'.  In my case
   this was:

   ls -alt /home/support/attachments/AREA*

To check if you setup the account you are running McIDAS from correctly,
please review the instructions on configuring the 'mcidas' account:

Preparing the mcidas Account
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html#22841

If you are using a different account, please review:

Configuring a New User Account
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/ConfiguringaNewUserAccount.html#22412

If none of this works, I am happy to login to your machine and see what is
going on.
If you decide that you would like me to do this, please do the following:

- make sure that machines from the unidata.ucar.edu domain can SSH to the
machine
- send me the machine name in one email
- send the password for the account in a separate email ** with NO reference to
  the machine for which it is valid **

re:
> thanks so much for your help

I think you are very close to getting things working.  All we need to do is
figure out why your ADDE dataset definition is not working.

Ticket ID: SMX-272962
Department: Support McIDAS