[McIDAS #DPX-653014]: The mcenv command

Hi Francisco,

re: simplifying the content of your .profile file

> Ok, I prepared the .profile as the instructions said.

Very good.  This should make your life easier in the future.

re: two invocations of 'mcenv' when I logged in earlier

> You might have been ssh'ed as the same time I was, however now I've
> assured no mcenv is running.

OK.  I just SSHed to your machine, and I see that no invocation of
'mcenv' is running.

re:
> I still can't mcenv to create that bash-like environment, and I need
> it to run the scripts from the atmos server. The script is under the
> ./scripts/gevis.sh and the core component that uses mcidas goes like
> this:
>
> mcenv -f 1@600x800 << 'EOF'
> imgdisp.k RTIMAGES/GE-VIS STA=TJSJ MAG=1 REFRESH='EG;MAP H'
> wait.k
> frmsave.k 1 ./getvis/gevis.jpg FORM=JPG
> exit
>
> Is there any other way to do this?

Yes.

The problem with what you have is that the ./getvis subdirectory does
not exist, and McIDAS will not create it for you.

I just did the following to verify that everything is working correctly:

<as mcidas on 136.145.123.167>

cd $MCDATA
cp ~mcidas/data/mcrun.sh myrun.bash

-- edit myrun.bash and:

   Change:

   #!/bin/sh

   #!/bin/bash

   Change:

   SHELL=sh
   export SHELL

   SHELL=/bin/bash
   export SHELL

   Incorporate your invocations above into myrun.bash:

   cd $MCDATA

   # put McIDAS-X commands you want to run here, one command per line.

   mcenv -f 1@600x800 << 'EOF'
   eg.k
   imgdisp.k RTIMAGES/GE-VIS STA=TJSJ MAG=1
   map.k H
   frmsave.k 1 ./getvis/gevis.jpg FORM=JPG
   exit

   # done
   exit

   EOF

- create the directory $MCDATA/getvis:

  mkdir $MCDATA/getvis

- run the script

  ./myrun.bash

The result of this is:

- script/McIDAS log output in $MCDATA/mcrun.log

- a JPEG file named getvis.jpg in $MCDATA/getvis

While I did not transfer the JPEG back to here to take a look, I am
certain that things are working correctly.

Comments:

- I erase the frame immediately by moving the EG (eg.k) to the first
  line of the command sequence.  This is not a requirement; it just
  seems a bit cleaner to me.

- I moved the drawing of the map to a separate line in the sequence afger
  IMGDISP. This eliminated the need to WAIT (wait.k) for the IMGDISP to run
  the REFRESH= commands.

- you could add the creation of the needed subdirectory(ies) (where
  you want to save your JPEGs) into your script.  For instance, the
  following modification could easily be made to the myrun.bash script:

  Change:

# Example (note that these lines are commented out!!):
#

mcenv -f 1@600x800 << 'EOF'
eg.k
imgdisp.k RTIMAGES/GE-VIS STA=TJSJ MAG=1
map.k H
frmsave.k 1 ./getvis/gevis.jpg FORM=JPG
exit

# done
  exit

EOF

mkdir -p ./getvis

# Example (note that these lines are commented out!!):
#

mcenv -f 1@600x800 << 'EOF'
eg.k
imgdisp.k RTIMAGES/GE-VIS STA=TJSJ MAG=1
map.k H
frmsave.k 1 ./getvis/gevis.jpg FORM=JPG
exit

# done
  exit

EOF

It is my opinion that McIDAS is running correctly on your machine and
you can now concentrate on the next job(s) at hand.
re:
> Thanks!

No worries.

Ticket ID: DPX-653014