[McIDAS #VMB-838792]: Meteosat conversion

Hi Bernie,

re: when you say "run a few Meteosat images through McIDAS" what exactly
do you mean?

> They followed the instructions you sent some time ago about how to
> convert the AREA files to binary.  I'm quite sure they used AXFORM.

OK.  The output format for AXFORM is very simple/straightforward, so I
would imagine that it should be easy to import the data into a different
application like IDL.  The question in my mind is how the IDL stuff
that Liam wrote works/what it expects?

re: were the images looked at first?

> I'm not sure they actually looked at the images, but the fact that
> about 50 images were converted to binary and a random sampling of
> these images yields the same results as in the image that I sent seems
> to indicate that something is going wrong in the conversion of the
> AREA files to binary.

Perhaps.  Is the original Meteosat data and its AREA file conversion
available?  The different formats would help me ascertain if there is
something wrong with AXFORM.

Ticket ID: VMB-838792
Department: Support McIDAS