[McIDAS #EBE-267137]: Mcidas--No grids beyond 24 hrs?

Hi Bill,

re:
> I wonder if there's been any further information on this?

I am sorry to say that I have not yet figured out the problem.  One of the
challenges that I have is debugging on an "operational" machine... the problem
does not present itself when the machine running the GRID/GRIB servers is Linux;
it does, however, present itself on adde.ucar.edu which is running Solaris
x86 10.  I will be continuing to investigate this weekend (the weekend is
when remote access is typically less, but this may not be the case with
Hurricane Irene cranking up the East coast).

re:
> We have one machine running Fedora 11 and one with Fedora 13 and neither
> of them can access (although they can see) grids beyond 24 hours.

This is not a client-side problem.  It is on the server side, and it appears to
be on a Solaris x86 build.  I rebuilt the code from scratch yesterday afternoon
hoping that some routine needed a refresh, but it made no effect.

re:
> I attempted to apply updates/bugfixes, ran into some minor issues with
> libbz2.a,
> and found some stuff on the email archives indicating that a complete
> reinstall
> is in order...so on the FC 13 machine I completely re-installed Mcidas...no
> joy,
> installation went just fine, but still no grids.

Yup, the problem is on our machine not yours.

re:
> I'm guessing that I'm the only one with this problem.  Could it be an issue
> with
> 64 vs 32 bit installs of the OS?  Linux has been kind of weird with parts of
> the
> core optimized for 64 bit and parts not.  I know Fedora 14 is out, maybe that
> might
> help?  Just Making Stuff Up here (MSU).

64 vs 32-bit is one of the things were problems could lie but shouldn't.  Even
though
adde.ucar.edu (aka motherlode.ucar.edu) is a 64-bit platform, I build
McIDAS-X/-XCD
in 32-bit mode _because_ of some weird stuff I ran into with GRIB serving a
while
ago.  That problem (which is not the same as the one you reported this summer)
never showed up on my 64-bit Fedora 12 workstation, but it did on adde.ucar.edu.

re:
> Anyway, any ideas?

I am going to resurrect GRID decoding/serving on my workstation to see if the
problem exists here as well as on adde.ucar.edu.  If it does, it will simplify
troubleshooting; if it doesn't, I will drop you a note so you can get RTGRID
data off of my machine until a fix is developed for adde.ucar.edu.

Ticket ID: EBE-267137
Department: Support McIDAS