[McIDAS #WRY-275628]: Installing McIDAS-X without ADDE

Hi Kwan,

re:
> Thank you, Tom, for your help.  I got the following outputs.
>
> Linux lnx269.ncep.noaa.gov 2.6.9-101.EL #1 Fri May 27 18:47:15 EDT 2011
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> /usr/bin/ar
>
> The output of cat ~/mcidas/mcidas2009/zlib/Makefile is attached.

OK, the biggest difference I can see between your 64-bit Linux machine
and my 64-bit Linux machine is the definition of AR in the zlib Makefile:

yours:

AR=ar

mine:

AR=ar rc

The error being reported in makelog shows the 'ar' invocation that was run:

ar libz.a adler32.o compress.o crc32.o gzio.o uncompr.o deflate.o trees.o
zutil.o inflate.o infblock.o inftrees.o infcodes.o infutil.o inffast.o

The 'ar' invocation in my makelog reflects the addition of the needed
flags:

ar rc libz.a adler32.o compress.o crc32.o gzio.o uncompr.o deflate.o trees.o
zutil.o inflate.o infblock.o inftrees.o infcodes.o infutil.o inffast.o

Why the 'configure' invocation run from the mcidas2009/zlib directory on your
machine
failed to define AR in the same way that mine did/does is unknown to me, but my
suspicion is that it has something to do with the environment in which it
is being run.  To verify this, you would need to comment out all sourcing of
environments in your ~/.cshrc file (e.g., for gempak, etc.); clobber the
McIDAS build attempt; and redo the make.  Alternatively, you could simply
edit the mcidas2009/zlib/Makefile and change the definition of AR to match
mine:

Change:

AR=ar

AR=ar cr

and then restart the McIDAS build:

cd ~/mcidas2009/src
make

Which path you try is, of course, up to you, but I would recommend the
latter as it is very easily done and might get you to where you need
to be without much trouble (but there could be further problems that
you have not yet run into).

Ticket ID: WRY-275628
Department: Support McIDAS