[McIDAS #KUC-159541]: Memory errors with GINI Local Server in McIDAS-X

Hi Jessica,

re:
> I was trying to display an image using the GINI Local Server in McIDAS-X
> on GINIL1. I got the errors I've pasted at the end of my email.  In case
> you want an example file, these specific files break for me:
>
> ftp://satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov/BLTPW/test/RRdata/
>
> The files that do not work are the BLEND* ones.
>
> Other AWIPS files work....but this is a new product, so I'm not sure if
> it could be the file, an outdated server, our machine?
>
> I also copied Tom Yoksas, as I was told he wrote this so I thought he
> might have an idea of whether it could be something server related or
> something with our file.  Just thought I'd ping you all and see if you
> had any thoughts or have come across these types of errors with McIDAS.

I grabbed one of the files from the FTP server you referenced above:

BLEND_SUNatl_RR.IMG_12151_1844

and created an ADDE dataset using it as its only member:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
dsserve.k ADD GINITEST/BLEND GINI TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/BLEND_* \"BLTPW IMAGES FROM SATEPSANONE FTP SERVER
Adding the group GINITEST as a local dataset

Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
GINITEST/BLEND           IMAGE GINI                  BLTPW IMAGES FROM SATEPSANO
                                                     NE FTP SERVER
                               DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/BLEND_*
DSSERVE: done

I was able to list and display this image with no errors.

For reference:

- I am running Unidata McIDAS-X v2009k

  NB: I stopped updating the year indicator on Unidata McIDAS-X
  releases in 2009.  Unidata McIDAS-X v2009j contains all SSEC
  updates/bugfixes/additions up to and including the most recent
  addendum for v2011.1.

- I am running Unidata McIDAS-X v2009k under CentOS 6.2 x86_64
  which is running as a VMware virtual machine on my Windows 7
  laptop (this is my preferred McIDAS development environment).

Here is a quick guess at what could be going on:

- look at the GetInt procedure in giniutil.c

  Does the first line of the procedure look like:

    unsigned char  octet[4];  /* <<<<< UPC mod 20080830 - 3 -> 4 >>>>> */

  The operative item is the dimensioning of the unsigned char array 'octet'.
  If yours is dimensioned to be '3' (three), change it to '4' (four) and
  rebuild:

  <as 'mcidas'>
  cd <McIDAS source directory for your build>
  -- edit giniutil.c
  make libsdi giniadir giniaget
  rm ~/bin/ginia*
  ln giniadir giniaget ~/bin

re:
> I know the local GINI server isn't really documented, but as Bonnie and
> I mentioned at the MUG meeting, we have found it very valuable in our
> work of supporting the NWS.

I am glad that you have found the GINI server to be of use!

re:
> Thanks!

No worries.

Please let me know if your 'giniutil.c' needed to be changed, and, if it
did and you changed it, if the mod fixed your problem.

Ticket ID: KUC-159541
Department: Support McIDAS