[McIDAS #BJT-176673]: Question about displaying the Satellite Image On McIDAS-X

Hi,

re: try IMGDISP G13/VIS27APR11 1 DAY= 11117 TIME= 19:02 20:45

> * I did that and this is the image I received. See Snapshot 11*

OK.  The output from IMGDISP shows no errors, so it is not very likely
that the image is damaged/corrupt.

re: try IMGDISP G13/VIS27APR11 1 DAY= 11117 TIME= 19:02 20:45 MAG=-4

> * I did that and this is the image I received. See Snapshot 12*

Very good.  This shows a portion of the image in the lower right.  This
confirms my hunch that you were not seeing anything because you were
corner of the frame AND your frame size is pretty small.

re: try IMGLIST G13/VIS27APR11 DAY=11117 TIME=19:02 20:45 FORM=ALL

> * I did that and this is the image I received. See Snapshot 13*
> *NOTE: I dont know how to copy snapshot 13 text into word document.

OK, I don't want a MS Word document anyway.

I'm curious:

- what OS are you running this on (e.g., Linux, SunOS, MacOS-X, Windows-XP,
  Windows-7)?

re:
> I tried highlighting the text and click the middle mouse button but it didnt
> work. So I will have to stick to snapshot 13 unless you have an alternative
> way to resolve this.  *

Hmm, this comment makes me think you are running in Linux; true?

re:
> *So I really dont know what is going on here. The commands are typed
> correctly in my view. Maybe you can give me insight on the next steps to
> take here. *

Here is what I think is going on:

- your image(s) is(are) large

  The IMGLIST for G13/VIS27APR11 at time 20:45 shows that the image shape
  is 10820 lines and 20824 elements.  This is is the kind of size one sees
  for a full disk image.  This is confirmed by the resolution (Res (km))
  for the pixel at the center of the image: Lat: 1.01, Lon 0.57.

  And, the IMGLIST output tells you what the Lat,Lon value of the center
  of the image: Center: Lat: 0, Lon: 70.

  The IMGLIST also shows that this image is 10-bit -- this is indicated by
  'bytes per pixel: 2' which says that there are two 8-bit bytes for each
  pixel value.

Given all of this information, try the following IMGDISP invocation to
see the spatial extent of the full image:

IMGDISP 1 DAY= 11117 TIME= 19:02 20:45 LATLON=0 70 MAG=-10 -20
MAP SAT

The default positioning when one specifies the LATLON= keyword is the
center of the frame.  So, this IMGDISP invocation should put up the
entire disk (if the image, is, in fact, a full disk image) with the
center of the image at the center of the frame.

Finally, I would strongly recommend that you start your McIDAS-X session
with much larger frames.  This is accomplished either by specifing
more lines and elements when starting ('mcidas -config') or by brute
force by editing the file ~/.mcidasrc and changing the uncommented
'-f ' line and then starting McIDAS.  For starters, I would suggest
frame sizes of 800 x 1000 (lines x elements).  This should be no problem
for your screen since I see that your snapshot captures are all 1600x1200.

Ticket ID: BJT-176673
Department: Support McIDAS