[McIDAS #JKQ-991036]: Re: MCIDAS Grayscale Question

Hi Rod,

re:
> Is there a way you can help me out on this on Thursday on SKYPE?

Did you not get/see the email I sent you last Friday?  I have included
it at the bottom of this reply just in case.

re:
> In
> addition I have a question with the ASCII files produced from the effective
> radius. I understand the values are from 0 to 255 but is that in K or C?

The values are brightness.  To convert GOES GVAR IR brighness to temperature,
one has to use a two slope conversion:

TEMP        BRIT
-----       ------
 163           255
 241.9999      177
 242           176
 330           0

re:
> Is there a way I can find out?

The UNIT= keyword for AXFORM can be used to specify the desired unit of the
output.  Review the online help for AXFORM for more information:

HELP AXFORM

Here is the note I sent last Friday:

> Hi Rod,
>
> re:
> > That's ok! You helped me out on the ASCII files which is way more important
> > at this moment. I will wait until Thursday for examples because I am
> > confused with some parts like the RANGE?
>
> I finally got a few minutes to focus on your efforts...
>
> re:
> > At least I can show the ASCII files but I am curious to see how IMGOLAY or
> > FRMOLAY works because I feel that those commands can overlay images.
>
> After thinking about what you are trying to do recreate a display originally
> created by Dan Lindsey), I decided that IMGOLAY/FRMOLAY are not the correct
> things to use since the display created using either of them will not look
> like Dan's display.  Instead, what is needed is to create a new image (AREA
> file) that contains both the Effective Radius information and the VISible
> image data.  This is accomplished using the IMGFILT command.
>
> re:
> > Otherwise there is really no point in using that legend table in my
> > opinion. If nothing can be overlayed.
>
> The GRAYOVER bar and labeling do make sense for a merged image.
>
> re:
> > At any rate we can talk more about this on Thursday?
>
> Well, it is now Friday, so Thursday is out :-)  But, I created a new
> McIDAS BATCH file, EFFRAD2.BAT, that does everything I think that you
> want.  Please test it out and see what you think.
>
> NB:
>
> - I copied over my version of CLW4.ET to your $MCDATA directory.  I
> think that this overwrote your file, so you may need to tweak the
> new CLW4.ET enhancement.
>
> - I have attached my version of EFFRAD2.BAT (named EFFRAD.BAT) to this email
> so that anyone else reading the exchange will be able to see the techniques
> used in the BATCH file.  You do _not_ need to extract this attachment since
> I already copied it to your $MCDATA directory AND modified that copy to use
> the datasets that you use (e.g., G13/ERAD27APR11, LOC/AREAS, etc.).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Ticket ID: JKQ-991036
Department: Support McIDAS