[McIDAS #EPQ-796541]: Unidata MCIDAS GUI Not fully displaying anymore?

Hi Rod,

re:
> When I was at my home in Greensboro, NC I was able to see the GUI
> fully load. Now when I am at my parent's house, I only am able to see
> black rectangular GUI but its not fully loading the parts where I can
> change the FRAME or ZOOM IN ETC.... BASICALLY THE BOTTOM PART OF THE
> RECTANGLE. Now I didn't change anything. I suspect maybe that internet
> is slow slow it may not be fully loading?

Yes, I would bet that the problem is the Internet connection speed
at your parent's house.

re:
> PuTTY needs the internet to run smoothly? Or what?

The "or what" would be speed.  The thing with running a graphical application
like McIDAS on one machine and viewing the output on another is that the
connection between the two machines needs to be pretty fast and consistent.
Slow, or highly variable connections will always see problems when
tunneling XWindow connections (like you have PuTTY setup to do).

re:
> Basically it shows black box
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/users_guide/2012.1/gui_window.gif
> but not the bottom parts like IMAGE, GRAPHICS, ZOOM, QUICKMAP ETC...

Yup, the Internet connection is probably too slow/erratic to support
remote XWindow displays.

Ticket ID: EPQ-796541
Department: Support McIDAS