[McIDAS #PIR-584729]: McIDAS Research Questions

Hi Rod,

re:
> *Ok and 1 other concern for my second question you responded to in previous
> email: *

> > - IMGREMAP the image into a RECTilinear projection
> >
> >   You have done this before, is not new.
> >
> > - convert the image into a grid using IMGGRD
> >
> > - create an ADDE dataset of type GRID for the converted
> >   image(s)
> >
> > - use GRDINFO STAT on the resulting GRID in the ADDE dataset
> >   just created

re:
> IMGREMAP LOC/AREAS.3203 PRO=RECT

OK.

re:
> IMGGRD GRID=0 ?

No.  The invocation would be something like:

IMGGRD AREA=3203 GRIDF=1000

This should analyze the image onto a "grid" and store the result
into the GRID file GRID1000.  GRID1000 should be created if it
does not already exist.  The grid that is created will be written
into the GRID file in the next available position (in McIDAS, GRIDs
are stored in GRID files, and one accesses them as positions in
the grid file).

re:
> DSSERVE ADD GRID/GOES13GRIDEFFRAD AREA
> DIRFILE=/home/rod/mcidas/data/AREA3203 "GRID FILE FOR the effective Area
> files"

No on three accounts:

- the dataset has to be of type GRID

- the length of the descriptor portion of the dataset name can be no
  more than 12 characters in length (GOES13GRIDEFFRAD has 14 characters)

- there should be no trailing quote mark

I would try:

DSSERVE ADD LOC/GRIDS GRID 1 9999 "All gridded data in GRID format

re:
> GRDINFO LOC/AREAS.3203 STAT

No.  Given what I outlined above, the invocation would be:

GRDINFO LOC/GRIDS.1000 STAT GRID=1

Comments:

- this assumes that the grid created is written as the first grid
  in the GRID file GRID1000

  In GRID=n, 'n' will change depending on how many grids are
  contained in the GRID file.

- you can list out the grids in an ADDE GRID dataset using
  GRDLIST.  Example:

  GRDLIST LOC/GRIDS.1000 NUM=ALL

- IMGGRD allows one to create a grid from a portion of an image

  You will probably want to take advantage of this feature as you
  are interested in particular portions of images.

Please review the built in HELP for the routines mentioned above:

HELP IMGGRD
HELP GRDINFO
HELP GRDLIST

Ticket ID: PIR-584729