[McIDAS #MPH-556293]: Error building mcidas2009 distribution

Hi Angel,

re:
> Thanks a lot for your quick answer to my help request.

No worries.

re:
> Of course we can give you access to our machine, however, in the last days,
> as ocurred with mcidas, we were not able to finish the built of other
> important linux software.

This is interesting.  Perhaps the development environment (compilers, etc.)
was not fully/properly installed?

re:
> Therefore we have decided to make tries the next
> days using Ubuntu system, behind is a much broather linux comunity with
> more resourses.

We (Unidata Program Center/UCAR) have used RedHat-based Linux distributions
(e.g., Fedora and CentOS) for years and have good experiences in building
and running the various packages we support in those environments.  I
have build McIDAS-X in both OpenSUSE and Ubuntu VMware virtual machines
mainly when trying to help end-users who use other Linux distributions
(interestingly those users are typically located outside of the U.S.).

re:
> If we do not have good results with Ubuntu we will get back
> with OpenSuSE. Anyway I will let you know about our progress.

If current releases of Ubuntu are like the one that I have used before,
you will run into one problem that has a simple workaround (the use
of Bash in a shell script (#!/bin/bash) instead of the Bourne shell
(#!/bin/sh).  I always considered that this was a problem with the
personality that Bash assumes when running as the Bourne shell (you
will find that the 'sh' executable is a link to the 'bash' executable).
I will provide details if you run into this problem when building
the current release of McIDAS-X.

Ticket ID: MPH-556293
Department: Support McIDAS