[McIDAS #XBX-823999]: McIDAS 2009 install problems

Hi Rick,

re: OS and compiler versions for your user's machine

> == McIDAS system diagnostic report for "pts1.climadrive.com" run on
> 2013-02-27 =
>
> =============================== Operating system
> ===============================
> Version                             Required           Status
> Linux 2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.x86_64 x86_64  2.4.21        OK
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago) OK

This is essentially identical to that in my development environment which
is CentOS 6.3 x86_64.\

re:
> =================================== Compilers
> ==================================
> Type/Location           Version                 Required Status
> C (vendor)                                      N/A OK
> FORTRAN (vendor)                                N/A OK
> /usr/bin/gcc            4.4.6                   3.2.3 OK
> /usr/bin/g77            3.4.6                   3.2.3 OK
> /usr/bin/gfortran       4.4.6 OK
> F2C utility                                     19990503
> --

I believe that the 4.4.6 version of 'g77' is the one that is known
to have multiple problems compiling older McIDAS Fortran source.
The problem was fixed in the 4.5+ releases.

F2C should not be used at all.

'gfortran 4.4.6' might have problems that newer ones don't.

re: need to install development packages

> I had the same problems - once they got all the libraries installed,
> everything went fine.

The other things that may or may not need to be installed are some
X fonts.  Without the full set of fonts, the McIDAS starting widget
will look funky (the widget that informs the user that McIDAS is
starting up) and the fonts used in the 'mctext' window and Tcl/Tk
GUIs will be unpleasing to the eye.

re:
> We have an inquiry that shows which libraries need
> to be installed.

The list of packages that need to be added really depends on the
OS's installation of a development environment.  I maintain a list
for my own benefit that I consult when I crank up a new VMware
virtual machine for the first time when trying to help users
that are using Linux variants that we do not have in-house.

re:
> Even after telling him the ones to install, he still
> did not install ncurses!

Been there _many_ times! :-)

Ticket ID: XBX-823999
Department: Support McIDAS