[McIDAS #HOU-905161]: cannot build mcidas

Hi Heather,

re:
> I am trying to build mcidas for the first time on a 32-bit CentOS
> machine.
> I just did a clean install of the operating system, and mcidas is one
> of my first installations.  I got about 99% through my install when I
> got this error:
>
> gfortran -g -o mcimage mci.o mci_brie.o mci_buff.o mci_cmap.o mci_comb.o mc=
> i_cpfl.o mci_curs.o mci_evnt.o mci_frfl.o mci_glbl.o mci_rsrc.o mci_updt.o =
> mci_visl.o mci_nvpp.o -L. -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lmcidas -lXe=
> xt -lX11 -ldl -lm
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
>
> I do not have a /usr/X11R6/lib64 directory because I am not using a
> 64bit machine.

Do not worry about the '-L/usr/X11R6/lib64' clause in the link line above
(gfortran is
being used as the linker since it will bring in needed libraries); it is not
causing
the problem you are experiencing.

re:
> Can you please advise?

Yes, this is one is easy: your development environment is not complete.  All you
need to do now is:

<as 'root'>
yum install libXext-devel

After installing the Xext development package, you can resume your McIDAS build:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src
make                        (or 'make all')

Comment:

- it is possible that there could be one or more additional packages
  that need to be installed before your McIDAS build will run to
  completion

  Here is the list of packages that I needed to install in my CentOS 6.2 x86_64)
  (which through automatic updates is now 6.4) environment when I first tried
  building McIDAS:

  Development
  -------------------------
  gcc-gfortran
  gcc-C++
  byacc
  flex
  ncurses-devel
  libXt-devel
  libXext-devel

  Fonts
  -------------------------
  xorg-x11-fonts-misc     <- for mctext
  xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi   <- for McGUI
  xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi    <- for McGUI

  Since it can't hurt to try to install packages that are already installed,
  you may want to do the following:

  <as 'root'>
  yum install ncurses-devel libXext-devel libXt-devel xorg-x11-fonts-misc
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi

  <as 'mcidas'>
  cd ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src
  make

re:
> I have attached my makelog

In this case, your inclusion of the gfortran line that failed was enough.
In general, however, attaching the McIDAS 'makelog' file is desired, so
thanks for attaching it!

Ticket ID: HOU-905161
Department: Support McIDAS