[ldmMcidas #OJB-462098]: Help! Things are not working

Hi Paul,

re:
> 1) OK...I think we fixed a few things too...The radar was not working
> because it searched for the wrong directory. I found that our copy of
> NEXRADDE.BAT was pointing to the wrong directory. I copied that to
> NEXRADDE.BAT.OLD and took the old copy from the old server over. Now the
> data files are where they are supposed to be.

The DSSERVE invocations in files like NEXRADDE.BAT do not become active
until 'mcidas' makes them active through actions like:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
batch.k NEXRADDE.BAT

Also, if you copied over a file from the old machine, did you put it
in the MCDATA directory for the user 'mcidas'?  This is where
files that get locally modified should live, not in ~mcidas/data.

re:
> Does this batch file get
> replaced with new versions? Should my modifications be named something else?

Not in the $MCDATA directory of 'mcidas'.  It does get replace by new
installations/updates if it is in ~mcidas/data.

re:
> 2) What does XCD.BAT do? I have this
> mcidas@climate:~/data$ less XCD.BAT
> REDIRECT ADD *.PRO          "#MCDATA
> REDIRECT ADD *.PTR          "#MCDATA
>
> REM
> REM Define needed REDIRECTions
> REM
>
> REDIRECT ADD HRS.SPL        "#XCDDATA
> REDIRECT ADD *.IDX          "#XCDDATA
> REDIRECT ADD *.IDT          "#XCDDATA
> REDIRECT ADD *.XCD          "#XCDDATA

XCD.BAT sets up McIDAS-XCD processing.

re:
> when I ran the command by hand, there were no strings defined. On the old
> servers, it was XCDDATA =: /home/mcidas/data
> I tried to enter the strings by hand using te.k but it would not let me use
> more than 12 characters.

The invocation from the Linux command line would be:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
te.k XCDDATA \"/home/data/mcidas

re:
> I was not sure what to do.

I thought that decoding was working correctly on the new climate.
Are you saying that it wasn't?

re:
> 3) When I run "mcidasx" I get two windows but do not get the menu. I get
>
> Error in startup script: couldn't read file "./tcl/lib/tk8.5/xmfbox.tcl":
> no such file found..
>
> That is weird.

The error message is, indeed, weird.  The Tcl/Tk widgets, etc. should
get installed in ~mcidas/tcl/...

re:
> This is what I have so far.

OK.

Dave wrote:

> Paul, as I mentioned on the phone I just installed tcl8.5 and tk8.5. Now
> if there is a MCIDAS binary that needs to be recompiled then I need to know
> what we are recompiling so I can add it to weather

Tcl/Tk is included as part of the McIDAS distribution.  The versions
of tclsh and mcwish (a McIDAS-modified version of 'wish') get created
as part of the McIDAS build process.  Installations of Tcl/Tk in the
OS are not needed as they should not be used by the McIDAS GUI/MCGUI
if the user's environment is setup correctly, and if the McIDAS build
succeeded with no errors.

Comment:

With three people making modifications, it is hard to know what works
and what doesn't because of the rapidly moving target that is
trying to be addressed.

Ticket ID: OJB-462098
Department: Support ldm-mcidas