[McIDAS #VZA-525318]: [mcidas-x] DSINFO command hangs indefinately

Hi João,

re:
> I got my McIDAS from the following site:
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/software/x/

OK, thanks for providing this information.  This means that you/your site
must be a member in good standing of the MUG.  Because of that status,
you can, if you like, get the Unidata McIDAS-X distribution (in addition
to or in place of the SSEC version).  The Unidata distribution is a little
different than the SSEC version in that it contains some additional programs,
is supported on more platforms, and has some features that were never
adopted into the SSEC distribution.

re:
> We are a meteorology company born and situated inside UFRJ (Universidade
> Federal do Rio de Janeiro - Federal Universitiy of Rio de Janeiro). We have
> a partnership with LAB2m (http://lab2m.coppe.ufrj.br/) which has inspired
> us in the use of McIDAS.

Very good.  I have had interactions with one or more folks from COPPE in the
past.

re:
> Most importantly we intend on hosting a LDM server
> and sharing our own weather data with the unidata network.

Excellent!

re:
> For this all to
> happen, I am learning to use the tools of the trade, McIDAS being one of
> them.

OK.

re:
> About the link mentioned in the last email, I am sorry, I just found out
> that my VM does not use the same clipboard as the host machine.
> The correct link would be:
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/users_guide/2009.1/intro-35.html
>
> Use of the DATALOC LIST command renders:
> Group Name                    Server IP Address
> --------------------         ----------------------------------------
> BLIZZARD                     128.104.109.190
>
> <LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
> directory.
> DATALOC -- done

OK, this is definitely a machine at SSEC:

% nslookup 128.104.109.190
Server:         192.168.72.2
Address:        192.168.72.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
190.109.104.128.in-addr.arpa    name = wimpy.ssec.wisc.edu.

109.104.128.in-addr.arpa        nameserver = dns.cs.wisc.edu.
109.104.128.in-addr.arpa        nameserver = dns1.ssec.wisc.edu.
109.104.128.in-addr.arpa        nameserver = dns2.ssec.wisc.edu.
dns.cs.wisc.edu internet address = 128.105.2.10
dns1.ssec.wisc.edu      internet address = 128.104.108.26
dns1.ssec.wisc.edu      has AAAA address 2607:f388:1090::4
dns2.ssec.wisc.edu      internet address = 128.104.108.27
dns2.ssec.wisc.edu      has AAAA address 2607:f388:1090::5

I just pointed at this machine and ran the same command that seemed
to be hanging for you, and I had no problems:

DATALOC ADD BLIZZARD 128.104.109.190

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
BLIZZARD                     128.104.109.190

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

DSINFO I BLIZZARD

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: BLIZZARD

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
G7-IR-4K         3    Storm of the Century G7 IR
G7-VIS-1K        1    Storm of the Century G7 1K
G7-VIS-4K        3    Storm of the Century G7 VIS
G7-VIS-FD        1    Storm of the Century G7 16K
IMAGES          14    Storm of the Century All Images
M3-IR            3    Storm of the Century M3 IR
M3-VIS           3    Storm of the Century M3 VIS

DSINFO -- done

To investigate this further, please try the following:

- from a Linux terminal window try:

telnet 128.104.109.190 112

  This should contact the ADDE server that is listening on port
  112 on 128.104.109.190.  If things are working correctly, you
  should get a response that looks like:

% telnet 128.104.109.190 112
Trying 128.104.109.190...
Connected to 128.104.109.190.
Escape character is '^]'.

  If you get this, you will need to terminate the connection with
  a CTRL-C.  It will also mean that you can contact the ADDE server
  and that your DSINFO invocation should work.

re:
> Thanks

No worries.

Ticket ID: VZA-525318