[McIDAS #PRA-170907]: High resolution fulldisk GOES

Hi João,

re:
> I have a few automatic mcidas scripts which generate GOES imagery for
> updating the cendas.lamce.coppe.ufrj.br site. One of the things that I
> want but have not been able to do is generate high resolution images,
> for example one pixel representing exactly one distinct piece of data.

Just so you know:  In McIDAS, the pixel included in an image is the pixel
from the original scan as long as the projection has not been changed by
IMGREMAP or values changed by routines like IMGCONV, IMGFILT, IMGNORM,
or IMGOPER.  The MAG= keyword instructs the McIDAS routine being run
to sample the image, not change values through, for example, averaging.

re:
> I know that this is possible via modification of the .mcidasrc file,
> but the following two lines are simply not working for me.
>
> -f 640x480 (first frame, low resolution)
> -f 5000x5000 (second frame, high resolution)

These lines are not working with you where/how?

re:
> I can actually generate high resolution files on my local machine where
> I have access to the GUI, but  the server which actually feeds the site
> is command line only. Could this in anyway be affecting the outcome?

When running McIDAS commands from a script, you will run McIDAS commands
from within 'mcenv'.  Here is the relevant snippit from mcrun.sh:

cd $MCDATA
mcenv << EOF

# put McIDAS-X commands you want to run here, one command per line.

# Example (note that these lines are commented out!!):
#
# dataloc.k ADD GINIEAST adde.ucar.edu
# eg.k
# imgdisp.k GINIEAST/GE1KVIS STA=KMIA MAG=-2 EU=IMAGE SF=YES
# map.k H
# bar.k
# frmsave.k 1 miamivis.gif

# done
  exit

EOF

This default invocation of 'mcenv' uses the default frame size.  It sounds
like you want to specify two different frames of two different sizes.
You would do this by specifying arguments to 'mcenv'.

HELP mcenv from your McIDAS GUI session to see the parameters you
can give to 'mcenv':

HELP mcenv
mcenv -- execute in a McIDAS environment
  mcenv [-f <framespec>]... [-e <bytes>] [prog arg...]
Remarks:
  Command line arguments:
     -f <framespec>  specifies a set of frames to include in the
                     McIDAS environment

                     A <framespec> of the form N@LxE in which N, L,
                     and E represent integers, and x is the small
                     letter x, means to allocate N frames of L lines
                     by E elements.

                     A <framespec> of the form LxE means to allocate
                     1 frame of L lines by E elements.

                     A <framespec> of the form N means to allocate N
                     frames of 480 lines by 640 elements.

                     Multiple -f options can be given in order to
                     specify frames of different sizes.

                     If there are no -f options, the default
                     environment is as if ``-f 1@480x640'' were
                     given.

     -e <bytes>      specifies how large to make the MAKFRM free
                     space pool in the McIDAS environment

                     The <bytes> number can be suffixed with a k or
                     an m, for kilobytes or megabytes.

                     If there is no -e option, the default
                     environment is as if ``-e 0'' were given.

     -g <number>     specifies number of graphics color levels
                     (McIDAS-X only)

     -i <number>     specifies number of image color levels
                     (McIDAS-X only)

     prog arg...     program to run in the McIDAS environment

                     If no program is specified, the default
                     program to run is $SHELL.

  The mcenv command creates an environment (shared memory block) and
  then forks and execs the given program.  When the program exits,
  mcenv removes the shared memory object and exits.

  mcenv processes can nest; commands run under an inner mcenv can
  not see or affect the environment created by the outer mcenv.

As you will see, the '-f' option is the one that you will need
to specify to declare the frames you want.  For instance:

mcenv -f 1@480x640 -f 1@5000x5000

will create a session with two frames: frame 1 will be 480x640
in size and frame 2 will be 5000x5000 in size.

Ticket ID: PRA-170907
Department: Support McIDAS