[McIDAS #QMH-464866]: IMGOPER

Hi Heather,

re:
> Thanks for your reply Tom!

No worries.

re:
> I have studied your commands and I think I understand what you are doing.

All I did was use PRDUTIL to add the calibrations to the image created by
IMGOPER that existed in each of the individual images that were inputs
for IMGOPER.

re:
> However ...
>
> They are not working for me.  I am still getting brightness temps of 255
> across the
> image.

I just displayed each of the 4 images you sent in your previous email in
successive frames; created a new image using IMGOPER; ran PRDUTIL to add
the calibrations to the resultant image; displayed the image created by
IMGOPER in frame 5; created a loop that contains all displayed images;
and then interrogated a number of individual pixels in each image displayed:

SF 1;IMGDISP CO2REMAP/CTP.1
SF 2;IMGDISP CO2REMAP/CTP.2
SF 3;IMGDISP CO2REMAP/CTP.3
SF 4;IMGDISP CO2REMAP/CTP.4
IMGOPER CO2REMAP/CTP.1 CO2REMAP/CTP.2 CO2REMAP/CTP.3 CO2REMAP/CTP.4
CO2REMAP/CTP.5 SIZE=ALL FORM=CMIN MISS=NONE
PRDUTIL ADD CO2REMAP/CTP.5 1 PROD 950 150 76 255 mb 1 99999
PRDUTIL ADD CO2REMAP/CTP.5 2 CTOP 950 150 76 255 mb 1 99999
PRDUTIL ADD CO2REMAP/CTP.5 3 CLDT 245 320 75 1 degK 1 99999
SF 5;IMGDISP CO2REMAP/CTP.5
LB 1 5

The values I got from the image created by IMGOPER were the same as the
conditional minimum (CMIN) ones from one of the 4 images used as input
to IMGOPER.  This is what I expected.

Question:

- are you saying that you did _not_ get what I got in the above test?

re:
> I am not getting values of 255 for my CTOP values, but I am NOT getting the
> same
> values as my remapped images have before the imgoper!

Hmm... I am.  Here is the output from 'D' (IMGPROBE MODE=N) for one pixel:

     Image Name           Day      Nominal Time   Scan Time    Band
  ----------------      -------    ------------   ---------    ----
  CO2REMAP/CTP.1       5 Nov 13309   19:46:00      MISSING        1

                        File     Nominal  Image     RAW         BRIT
PROD        CTOP        CLDT
       Lat/Lon      Line/Element  Line/Element                              MB
        MB          DEGK
 20:17:33 / 164:27:56  324/  119   10085/ 9520              0           0
99999       99999       99999

IMGPROBE: Done

     Image Name           Day      Nominal Time   Scan Time    Band
  ----------------      -------    ------------   ---------    ----
  CO2REMAP/CTP.2       5 Nov 13309   20:02:00      MISSING        1

                        File     Nominal  Image     RAW         BRIT
PROD        CTOP        CLDT
       Lat/Lon      Line/Element  Line/Element                              MB
        MB          DEGK
 20:17:33 / 164:27:56  324/  119   10085/ 9520              0           0
99999       99999       99999

IMGPROBE: Done

     Image Name           Day      Nominal Time   Scan Time    Band
  ----------------      -------    ------------   ---------    ----
  CO2REMAP/CTP.3       5 Nov 13309   20:20:00      MISSING        1

                        File     Nominal  Image     RAW         BRIT
PROD        CTOP        CLDT
       Lat/Lon      Line/Element  Line/Element                              MB
        MB          DEGK
 20:17:33 / 164:27:56  324/  119   10085/ 9520              0           0
99999       99999       99999

IMGPROBE: Done

     Image Name           Day      Nominal Time   Scan Time    Band
  ----------------      -------    ------------   ---------    ----
  CO2REMAP/CTP.4       5 Nov 13309   20:24:00      MISSING        1

                        File     Nominal  Image     RAW         BRIT
PROD        CTOP        CLDT
       Lat/Lon      Line/Element  Line/Element                              MB
        MB          DEGK
 20:17:33 / 164:27:56  324/  119   10085/ 9520             26          26
99999       99999         295

IMGPROBE: Done

     Image Name           Day      Nominal Time   Scan Time    Band
  ----------------      -------    ------------   ---------    ----
  CO2REMAP/CTP.5       5 Nov 13309   20:24:00      MISSING        1

                        File     Nominal  Image     RAW         BRIT
PROD        CTOP        CLDT
       Lat/Lon      Line/Element  Line/Element                              MB
        MB          DEGK
 20:17:33 / 164:27:56  324/  119   10085/ 9520             26          26
99999       99999         295

IMGPROBE: Done

As you can see, the pixel in the image created by IMGOPER has the same values
as the same
pixel from the image in the fourth position of the dataset.  Since none of the
other
images had pixels in that location, the result is exactly what I expected.

re:
> I have been playing around with IMGOPER since yesterday, and have been using
> the SCALE=
> function to get the correct values of my products and raw values.  I wasn't
> able to get
> it to work, but your email showed me how to find the correct values for the
> calibration.

Hmm... I am not sure I understand.  Are you saying that the calibrations
contained
in each of the original remaps were incorrect?

re:
> The one thing that I still haven't figured out is the missing values.  My
> IMGOPER
> commands are making all my missing values 100.

Hmm again... Your IMGOPER invocation said that there were no missing values
(MISS=NONE), so all values would be included in the FORM=CMIN combination,
but PRDUTIL assigned a missing value of 99999 to:

   miss | missing value to assign to product when a brightness value is
          outside the range defined with 'britlo' and 'brithi'; use
          decimal value -2139062144 for HEX80 (def=0)

When I interrogate the resultant image, I see MISS values (999999) where I
expect to see them.

re:
> This is fine for the CTOP products which
> run from 950 to 150, but for my ECAT, I need to be able to distinguish
> between a
> legitimate value of 100 and a missing value, which is 99999 in the individual
> remap
> files.

OK, this is new.

re:
> Are you familiar with the MISS= statement?

The MISS= keyword on IMGOPER says which pixels should be excluded from
the operation that is being performed.

re:
> The help menu and the McIDAS
> internet IMGOPER page do not describe it very well, and I am not having much
> luck.
>
> Right now my command is
>
> IMGOPER CO2REMAP/ECA.1 CO2REMAP/ECA.2 CO2REMAP/ECA.3 CO2REMAP/ECA.4
> CO2REMAP/ECA.5 UNIT=ECAT BAND=1 SIZE=ALL FORM=CMIN MISS=NONE SCALE=1 100 78
> 255
>
> I have been trying many variations in the MISS=, and none of them are
> working.  I don't
> really care what the IMGOPER makes the missing values as long as they are not
> between
> 0-100 and the ECAT values are correct!

Again, I believe that the MISS= value is one that IMGOPER will skip when doing
the operation that it told to do.

Your SCALE= keyword says to map product values 1..100 to brightnesses 78..255.

re:
> Do you have experience with this?

Some, but not extensive.

re:
> I have attached my 4 remapped files

OK, I created a dataset to match yours (CO2REMAP/ECA) and ran through the same
process as I did with the last set of images you sent:

DSSERVE ADD CO2REMAP/ECA AREA 3000 3010 TYPE=IMAGE "ECA IMAGES FROM NORTHROP
GRUMMAN

IMGOPER CO2REMAP/ECA.1 CO2REMAP/ECA.2 CO2REMAP/ECA.3 CO2REMAP/ECA.4
CO2REMAP/ECA.5 UNIT=ECAT BAND=1 SIZE=ALL FORM=CMIN MISS=NONE SCALE=1 100 78 255

SF 1;IMGDISP CO2REMAP/ECA.1
SF 2;IMGDISP CO2REMAP/ECA.2
SF 3;IMGDISP CO2REMAP/ECA.3
SF 4;IMGDISP CO2REMAP/ECA.4
SF 5;IMGDISP CO2REMAP/ECA.5

PRDUTIL ADD CO2REMAP/ECA.5 2 ECAT 1 100 78 255 % 1 99999

I note that the only difference between the PROD calibration
and the ECA calibration added by this PRDUTIL is:

- unit not set in IMGOPER-created image; value was 0
- scale factor was 0 in IMGOPER-created image
- missing value was 0 in IMGOPER-created image

I got the values for my PRDUTIL invocation from the ones set in AREA3000:

    200. 1413563205           1 HEX: 54414345        1 ASCII: ECAT

     202.        100          78 HEX:       64       4E ASCII: d    N
     204.        255   538976293 HEX:       FF 20202025 ASCII:      %
     206.          1       99999 HEX:        1    1869F ASCII:

My question is:

- what are you expecting for values that you are not seeing?

By the way, I will be on travel starting on Friday morning early
and will not return until the evening of December 10.  I should
be able to read email sometimes during my trip, but for large
portions, I will be completely out of touch (on a boat in the
Gulf of California :-).

Ticket ID: QMH-464866
Department: Support McIDAS