[McIDAS #PND-193609]: Access to McIDAS

Hi Jon,

re:
> Dear Tom,  thank you.  I'll also see if my colleagues at NOAA can help
> as MUG members.  After you tell me what they say, of course.

I received SSEC's position on your request to continue to be able
to use McIDAS-X late Monday:

  Hi Tom,

  You are correct that this user would not fall under the category of
  non-US educational users in pursuit of a degree. I think the best
  option for him would be for one of his NOAA colleagues to sponsor him as
  a McIDAS site. The NOAA colleague would have to be a current MUG
  member. Normally, the way a sponsorship works is that the MUG member
  provides the user with the software and the support for one year of
  their collaboration, while the sponsored site determines if they would
  also like to become a MUG member. In this case, I think we would just
  need confirmation that the MUG member would act as a sponsor, and then
  Jon could get his McIDAS software from either Unidata or from the
  sponsor. Hopefully that will work for him.

Given this, your best bet would seem to be to get your NOAA colleagues
to sponsor you for 1 year.  As far as where you would get the software
after you are officially recognized as being sponsored, you could get
the SSEC distribution from the NOAA folks, or we could add you to
the list of non-.edu folks that are allowed to download Unidata McIDAS-X.
The first job in either case is to get your NOAA colleagues to sponsor
you.

re:
> Thanks again.

I'm sorry that things aren't easier!