[McIDAS #TSV-261063]: Hi

Hi Jane,

re:
> Can you please walk me through with the steps to connect to the
> openarchive.ssec.wisc.edu server, because it's not showing up on the server
> bar.

Sure, but...

re:
> Or do I have to manually add this server to connect?

You have to add it manually.  This means that you have to type in
'openarchive.ssec.wisc.edu'
(without the quote marks) in the Server: entry box that will be shown when you
select:

Data Explorer -> Data Sources -> Satellite -> Imagery

After you type this in, click in the Dataset: entry to the right of the Server:
entry.
This will cause the Add Remote Dataset dialog to be popped up.

The next thing you have to do is enter in the name of the dataset(s) that you
want to access from the Open Archive.  This information can be found in the
links
that are sent in the email that informs you that your access has been granted.
Since you likely did not receive this email, here is the contents of the email
I received:

  Your SSEC Open Archive account has been activated for IP address
128.117.156.80.

  Satellite availability, ADDE Group/Datasets, ADDE Descriptor, and server
information can be found at the following links.

  For GOES Geostationary data:
  http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter/unidata_openarc_GOES8-15.html

  For Non-GOES Geostationary Archive:
  http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter/unidata_openarc_nongoes.html

  Please email address@hidden if you have any further questions.

Given that your area of interest is the South Pacific:

"I want to retrieve satellite imagery for the South Pacific (0S to 60S
and 120E to 120W) region"

you should look at:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter/unidata_openarc_GOES8-15.html

Since your case studies span several years:

"the dataset I'm working on is for the 5 years/TC seasons in the past
(2008-2009 to 2012-2013)"

you will need to be looking at a couple of different datasets:

OGOES11 - GOES-West from June 4, 2004 until December 6, 2011
OGOES15 - GOES-West from March 30, 2010 until present

You would type in

OGOES11, OGOES15

in the Dataset: entry; check the Image checkbox for the type of data;
and then click on Add Server.  This should result in OGOES11 and OGOES15
showing up in the Dataset: box in the Satellite -> Imagery UI.

After the above has been successfully done, you would select either
OGOES11 or OGOES15 from the Dataset: dropdown list and then click
on the Connect button.  Success will result in there being multiple
possibilities in the Image Type: dropdown.  At this point, it is time
to explore the dates that you are interestedin.

re:
> Another question
> is, do I still wait for the approval email so I can get the username and
> project number? Thanks!

The access that was setup for the machine with IP address 130.65.97.165
should not need a user name and project number.  If you find that working
from the SJSU Met lab machine that has this IP address is problematic,
I will send you the credentials and name of a different server at
the SSEC Data Center.

Ticket ID: TSV-261063
Department: Support McIDAS