[McIDAS #CKA-730646]: Cannot contact server

Hi Heather,

re:
> I have been working through your steps and I am stuck at configuring xinetd:
>
> [root@npxcd mcidas]# ./mcinet2009.sh install mcadde
> mcinet2009: /etc/services: mcidas already set up
> mcinet2009: xinet: Using xinetd.d to set up services
> mcinet2009: /etc/hosts.allow: mcidas already set up
> mcinet2009: /etc/xinetd.d/mcidas: modifying file
> ./mcinet2009.sh: line 714: [: too many arguments
> mcinet2009: WARNING: xinetd not listening
> Try running the script again in a few minutes.
>
> Any suggestions?

Sometimes the shell has problems running mcinet2009.sh.  To know if it
was successful, check to see if the the following file exists:

/etc/xinetd.d/mcidas

and its content looks like:

service mcidas
{
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = mcadde
        port            = 112
        server          = /home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh
        server_args     = -H /home/mcidas
#       disable         = no
}

If this checks out, restart 'xinetd':

<as 'root'>
service xinetd restart

Now, assuming that you have created the file ~mcidas/.mcenv
as per my previous email, AND the user 'mcadde' exists AND
is setup as per instructions in the Unidata McIDAS-X User's
Guide (which basically says that 'mcadde' should be in the
same group as 'mcidas'; it should share the same HOME directory
as 'mcidas'; and it should _not_ have a login shell), and
assuming that the firewall on the machine is setup to allow
inbound traffic to port 112 (the McIDAS ADDE port), you should
be able to contact the ADDE server from other machines on
your network.

re:
> I created the user mcadde, and made it so you cannot login
> as the user only through the root account.  mcadde is in the mcidas group.

What is the /etc/passwd entry for 'mcadde'?

Ticket ID: CKA-730646
Department: Support McIDAS