[McIDAS #CNA-970101]: METEOSAT 10 Imgcopy problem

Hi Mary Ellen,

re:
> Hope all is well with you and yours!

Yes, thanks!  And you?

re:
> I'm bummed we won't get to hang out at AMS this year!

Yea, I am not going to AMS this year.  I will, however, be skiing :-)

re:
> Give my best to the SSEC guys when you see them.

I will say hello in the conference call I will likely have with them on
Thursday or Friday.

re:
> Life in Boston is officially COLD!

Yes, it always seemed a bit cold to me in New Hampshire when I was a PhD student
at UNH, and when I worked as a snowmaker at Killington in Vt.  Then again, I was
a LOT younger then, so the cold did not bother me as much as it does now.

re:
> Would love to hear more of your "local" stories now that I live here and
> probably
> know where you were referring to now!

Hmm... about life as a student in NH, or as a snow maker in VT?

re;
> OK, back to work...
>
> Heather has access to the AREA files in question and she'll send those to you
> in short
> order.

Very good.

re:
> To keep the ball rolling, I'll try to answer your questions...
>
> 1.The MSG data is retrieved from NESDIS from the MSG dataset, specifically
> MSG/FD and
> MSG/HRV. The visible data from MSG/FD is the data we're having the issue
> with, not the
> data from MSG/HRV

Yes, but what is the name of the NESDIS machine that is running the ADDE
server?  I used to have access to a number of NESDIS ADDE servers, but I let
that lapse back in the May/June time frame.  This interaction might prompt me
to sign-up again for access.  In the interim, I have direct access to an
ADDE server (that I helped setup) at EUMETSAT, so I can look at real-time
METEOSAT-10 data whenever I want/need, hence my comment on my not having
problems displaying and IMGCOPYing imagery when I ran my tests this afternoon.

re:
> 2. Imgcopy from McIDAS-X session. Yes, Heather did this online today while we
> were
> having a video chat and it produces a blank white image with navigation.

Question:

- was she doing a IMGDISP of the image that was copied

- or did she try to do the IMGDISP from the remote server; then do
  an IMGCOPY to a local dataset; and then do the IMGDISP of the image
  just copied?

  I ask to make sure that the problem is not somehow related to the
  script doing the copy (I do NOT expect that this is the case, but
  I have to rule out any possibility).

re:
> 3. The issue is clearly related to the transition from Met9 to Met10 but it's
> odd that
> the IR imagery is totally fine from the same data files.

Yes, that is odd.  My IMGISP and IMGCOPY of the BAND 1 VIS from EUMETSAT
showed nothing strange, so I can not reproduce the problem using the
most recent version of McIDAS-X (v2014, but this is not yet available
for general download from us because I have web documentation to attend
to).

re:
> Also, the AREA files delivered
> from EUMETSAT are corrupt so it seems it's bigger than just us at NGC.

That is why I want the AREA files themselves (or, at least, one or two) --
I want to see if they are corrupted.

re:
> Thanks for your help!

No worries.