[McIDAS #WGX-237531]: Mcidas-X

Hi Justin,

re:
> Awesome. I will give NMAP2 a try. I may need to open a GEMPAK ticket for it
> to make sure I get the environment setup correctly for the data.

OK.

re:
> Do all
> files need to be converted to .gem through the ldm decoders to be used in
> NMAP2 or can it read raw mcidas area files?

Imagery formats (GINI from NIMAGE and FNEXRAD, AREA from UNIWISC, and NEXRAD
Level II/III from NEXRAD2/NEXRAD3) are understood directly; no "decoding"
is needed.  However, the GINI, FNEXRAD and AREA images being delivered in
the IDD are compressed (method depends on image).  GEMPAK, McIDAS-X, and
the IDV understand the compressed images directly.  McIDAS-V should understand
the compressed GINI images, but I don't think that it will understand the
compressed AREA images (we create the UNIWISC images and use a PNG compression
on the image portion of the products; we added support for the compressed
and uncompressed images to GEMPAK and McIDAS-X a _long_ time ago, and I
don't think that SSEC has ever incorporated my code into their ADDE servers,
so it is likely that datasets created in/by McIDAS-V will not understand
the images.

If you are getting images in McIDAS AREA file format from other places,
they are likely to _not_ be compressed, so they should be directly usable
in all of the packages.

re:
> I would like to also give both McIDAS-V and McIDAS-X a try and compare if I
> could.

Sure.  I think you should start with McIDAS-V... it can be downloaded from
SSEC as follows:

SSEC McIDAS HomePage
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas

  McIDAS-V
  http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/software/v/

You can download the IDV from the Downloads pages on our web server,
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu.

Question:

- are you registered with our website under your address@hidden
  email address?

  If yes, I will add you to the list of non-'.edu' users that are allowed
  to download McIDAS-X.

re:
> Thank for your time, Tom!

No worries.