[Miscellaneous #UFF-250801]: GOES east & west geotiff files

Hi Derek,

The VMware CentOS 6.1 x86_64 virtual machine is out on the Unidata FTP site
for you to grab:

machine:   ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user:      anonymous
pass:      <your full email address>
directory: pub/VMware
file:      CentOS-6.1-64-bit.zip

Download this file to a location on your C: drive (I suggest
creating a VMware folder somewhere and putting it there)
and then unzip the file in-place.

Once the file is unzipped and after you have downloaded and
installed the VMware Player application from the VMware
web site, you will run Player and open an existing machine.
The file that you will point at will be in the folder created
by the unzip process.  At this point we should talk (Skype,
Google Hangouts, phone, etc.) so I can walk you through
booting the virtual machine in single user mode so you can
set the 'root' password to one of your choosing.

Question:

- what are the specs (CPU, RAM disk space, etc.) for your Windows machine?

As a reference, my Windows 7 laptop has an I7 processor (4 cores with
hyperthreading
so it looks like 8 cores), 8 GB RAM (the more the better of course), and 500 GB
HDD (not critical, but the VM's disk space is configured to be able to grow
up to 80 GB (but it starts off much smaller)).

I would not try to run a VM on a marginally configured machine.  That being
said, most laptops sold today should be able to run the VM with ease.

Ticket ID: UFF-250801
Department: Support McIDAS