[Miscellaneous #UFF-250801]: GOES east & west geotiff files

Hi Derek,

re:
> VMware seems to be working fine.

I take this to mean that you run VMware Player and then play the CentOS
virtual machine that I put out on FTP for you to use.

Questions:

- is the above conjecture true?

- if yes, did you boot the virtual machine into single user mode
  and change 'root's password?

  If yes, excellent!

- how was the networking setup in Player?

  I use the NAT option.

- how many virtual CPUs did you allocate to the virtual machine?

- how much RAM did you allocate for the virtual machine?

- if you are now actually running the virtual machine inside of
  Player:

  Did you update the OS?

  The command to do this is:

  <as 'root'>
  yum update

  This will take some time depending on your network connection.

- if you have gotten this far, did you create a 'mcidas' account?

re:
> So the next step is to download McIDAS,
> and I'm reading through the instructions you sent me, but I have a
> question.

Yes, download the McIDAS source distribution to the HOME directory
of your 'mcidas' login in the virtual machine.

re:
> Am I download the source files from UNIDATA onto my computer and
> then install them through the terminal window in VM?

In the 'mcidas' account while logged in as 'mcidas' in the virtual
machine, yes.

re:
> According to the
> instructions I first need the install packages to build McIDAS-X/XCD and the
> LDM, and then a 'yum' command to run them.  Could you clarify?

First, lets make sure that you have updated the OS in your virtual machine.
If you have done that, I will send you the single line 'yum' invocation
that you will need to run as 'root' to install the various packages needed
to build McIDAS and the LDM (building the LDM is optional).

re:
> Sorry for the confusion.

No worries.  If this is your first experience with running a virtual
machine, a little head scratching is to be expected :-)

Ticket ID: UFF-250801
Department: Support McIDAS