[McIDAS #KXY-614160]: What are the plans for the Japanese Satellite

Hi Fred,

re:
> NESDIS currently makes the Japanese satellite data available via the ADDE PUB
> server.

They make MTSAT-2 data available, and they created ADDE dataset definitions for
Himawari-8 data, but so far the Himawari datasets are empty.

re:
> They currently provide data from the MTSAT-2 satellite.  The new Japanese
> satellite
> Himawari-8 is now the operational satellite for Japan.  The MTSAT-2 will be
> turned off
> Dec. 4.  The Himawari-8 has 16 channels and scans the Earth every 10 minutes.

Yup, the Himawari data is fantastic!

re:
> Have you  heard anything about NESDIS making this new satellite data
> available via ADDE?

I brought this question up at the recently held McIDAS Advisory Committee (MAC)
meeting.  The NESDIS representative(s) on the MAC said that they would look into
if the H-8 imagery will be made available on one of their ADDE server machines.
So far, I have not heard anything back from them regarding this.  I am assuming
that one of the challenges will be the sheer volume of H-8 data that would need
to be served.  The satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov machine may simply not have
the disk (or CPU, memory, etc.) resources to be able to handle the data to
the _MANY_ users that would invariably be hitting the server for H-8 data.

Ticket ID: KXY-614160
Department: Support McIDAS