[McIDAS #TOW-524867]: McADDE install

Hi Justin,

Sorry for the slow reply.  I was out of the office yesterday, and I have spent
almost the entire day today fighting some Windows weirdness (groan)...

re: reworked mcinet2016.sh
> Got it. Thank you!
>
> I typed in: sh ./mcinet2015.sh status
> and everything is up and running. It came back with, "mcinet2015: mcidas
> transfer services installed and running:        YES"

Very good.

re:
> Now the big question, how do I test/configure it? Do you have any info you
> may be able to point me to?

If your machine firewall is not blocking inbound requests to port 112, and
if you have defined some ADDE datasets in your 'mcidas' account, you should
be able to test to see if things are working immediately:

Assume that you created the MYDATA dataset as 'mcidas' on your machine
(you could do this by running the MYDATA.BAT BATCH file as 'mcidas'
for instance).  Then, "point" at the external interface of your machine
with a DATALOC command.  For purposes of illustration, let's assume that
your machine's public name is justin.balbierer.edu.  Here is what I
would do:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
dataloc.k ADD MYDATA justin.balbierer.edu
dsinfo.k ALL MYDATA

If you had defined the MYDATA dataset, and if justin.balbierer.edu is the
external name of your machine, and if inbound requests to port 112 are
not being blocked by a firewall, you should see the same listing as
when MYDATA is defined as a LOCAL-DATA dataset.  To check your "pointing"
(DATA LOCation, or DATALOC), simply run DATALOC:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
dataloc.k LIST

OR more specifically

dataloc.k LIST MYDATA

If MYDATA is to be accessed "locally", the output of your DATALOC (dataloc.k)
invocation would look like:

% dataloc.k LIST MYDATA

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
MYDATA                       <LOCAL-DATA>

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

If, on the other hand, you ran DATALOC to "point" at a "remote" machine,
it might look something like:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
dataloc.k ADD MYDATA adde.ucar.edu
dataloc.k LIST MYDATA

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
MYDATA                       ADDE.UCAR.EDU

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

Some quick explanations pertinent to Unidata McIDAS-X:

- McIDAS is most typically installed as the user 'mcidas'

- the remote ADDE requests are handled by the user 'mcadde'

- 'mcadde' shares the same HOME directory as 'mcidas'

- 'mcadde' is NOT a login account

  This provides some extra security.

- all ADDE datasets defined by 'mcidas' will automatically be
  available through the remote ADDE interface by virtue of
  'mcadde' sharing the HOME directory of 'mcidas', and by
  virtue of the file ~mcidas/.mcenv existing and having
  appropriate/needed environment variable definitions needed
  by McIDAS

Does that make sense?

Ticket ID: TOW-524867
Department: Support McIDAS