[McIDAS #GHE-647300]: McIDAS-X 2016 isn't working because...

Hi Gilbert,

re:
> Since I sent you on a random, wild goose chase down meaningless rabbit
> trails, I figure since you didn't complain, I'll send you down one more.
> ;-)

:-)

re:
> But seriously...
>
> McIDAS-X isn't working because it is trying to use X windows 0. When I
> installed CentOS 6.8, that window no longer permits writing to it...

This is very weird indeed.  I say that because I upgraded my McIDAS
development environment VM from CentOS 6.7 to 6.8 last Friday, and
I am not experiencing this problem.  I also upgraded my Unidata
workstation to 6.8 last Friday, and I am not seeing this problem on
it either.

Question:

- can you run X things like an xterm when logged in as 'mcidas'?

re:
> looks like they have some bugs to figure out.

I am experiencing weird X-related things in my VM...  when I drag a terminal
window around the desktop, its shape changes (meaning it gets narrower and
then wider) as I move it.  This is very similar to a problem that I experienced
in Ubuntu running on my Odroid U3 single board computer.  That problem was
related to the X driver not working well in a particular desktop.  Perhaps
the problem I am seeing in my CentOS 6.8 VM is similar?

re:
> So, how can I run it on
> windows :1 or :2, which are active?

McIDAS is no different than any other XWindow application - the
DISPLAY environment variable needs to be set to say where the display
is to be sent.

Question:

- I noticed that you are running 2 invocations of Xvfb on weather

  Is it possible that either of those invocations is running in
  display :0?

Comment:

- you would not notice a problem with McIDAS if you were generating
  things like GIFs and JPEGs running from scripts where you are
  not trying to visualize the output

  The only time you should notice an XWindows problem in McIDAS is
  when you are running an interactive session since that is the
  only time that 'mcimage' is run, and 'mcimage' is the McIDAS
  routine that opens up an XWindow.

  Are you running McIDAS interactively or through a script where this
  no visualization of the display?

re:
> And since I don't want any configuration changes to pqact (right?), I can
> leave them alone, correct?

Huh?  The McIDAS things run out of an LDM pattern-action file do not need
XWindows running at all.  Is this question separate from the one above?

re:
> I did restart LDM after the install, though.
> This is on weather, weather2, weather3, and weather4.

I am not sure what you mean in the last three sentences.  Can you elaborate?

Ticket ID: GHE-647300
Department: Support McIDAS