[McIDAS #MUB-377647]: Converting MciDAS to NetCDF navagation issue

Hi Dave,

I ran several tests in McIDAS-V to see how the image saved in the netCDF file
you downloaded from NOAA/CLASS compared to the image stored in the AREA file you
also downloaded from NOAA/CLASS.  The tests indicated that the image stored
in the netCDF file that you downloaded from NOAA/CLASS had navigation and
data values that matched the navigation and data values contained in the AREA
file.  My conclusion from these tests is that you should use the netCDF files
you can download from NOAA/CLASS for your case study.  Another reason to
use these files instead of the ones that could be created by AreaToNetcdf.jar
is that those netCDF files contain brightness values (values range from 0
to 255), not raw values (which range from 0 to 19360).

Aside:

I tried to display the image created by AreaToNetcdf.jar in McIDAS-V, but the
file was not CF compliant, so it wouldn't load.  The problem appears to be
in how the latitude and longitude arrays are named (lats and lons instead of
lat and lon).  I will try to fix up the variables in the netCDF file to be
(more)
CF compliant using NCML tomorrow just so I can see how much of a difference
there
is between the image from the AREA and the image from the
AreaToNetcdf.jar-created
netCDF file.

I hope that this helps...

Ticket ID: MUB-377647