[McIDAS #YQC-981891]: McIdas compatible with operating systems Microsoft/IBM

Hi Thomas,

re:
> Our organization the U.S. Air Force Space and Missile Center is looking
> toward the future, and updating our current weather information
> capabilities. Is McIdas Microsoft Windows 10 compatible. Or is the only
> operating system available IBM OS UNIX or some directive open source LINUX
> Redhat or LINUX Fedora.

Here is the official stance on Windows support for McIDAS-X from the
University of Wisconsin Space Science and Engineering Center web site:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/software/x/system.2017.updates.html

Vendor:  Microsoft

Continuing support of Windows 7 Enterprise with Subsystem for UNIX-based
Applications (SUA).

We have no plans to support McIDAS-X on Windows 8. We will evaluate Windows 10
when it's supported at the University of Wisconsin SSEC.

re:
> Can Unidata provide some information about this

We have never recommend using McIDAS-X under Windows even though we make
the SSEC Windows distribution of McIDAS-X available; we greatly prefer
the *nix (Unix/Linux) flavor of McIDAS-X.  FYI: The SSEC Windows distribution,
does not include the Unidata added bug fixes and enhancements that we
incorporate in our McIDAS-X *nix distribution.

Please note that SSEC's McIDAS-V and Unidata's IDV both run well under
Windows 10.  Here are a couple of references:

McIDAS-V
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/software/v/

IDV
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/

Either of these packages may provide the data visualization and analysis
capability that you are looking for.

I hope that this helps...

Ticket ID: YQC-981891
Department: Support McIDAS