[McIDAS #PBL-581003]: Issue compilng McIDAS (hd5) on CentOS 7.2

Hi Robert,

re:
> I got a backup old Solaris server installed with CentOS 7.2. However I am
> still having
> issues compiling hdf5  even though it is Linux not Solaris. I have attached
> the makelog.

The indication in your makelog is that libz.a is not found:

configure: error: Can't find or link to the z library. Turn off netCDF-4 and
  opendap with --disable-netcdf-4 --disable-dap, or see config.log for errors.
configure       /usr/mcidas/mcidas2016/netcdf:  FAILED

I would try installing the package using 'yum' as 'root', and recompiling from
scratch,
but, quite frankly, I'm surprised by the message.

Questions:

- What is the environment you are compiling in (i.e., what is the output of
'env')?

- did you follow the Unidata directions for setting up the environment for
'mcidas'
  before attempting a build?

  Ref:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html

By the way, we have been drooling over the EXPERIMENTAL imagery coming down from
GOES-16... it is truly spectacular especially the full disk, band 2 (0.64 um)
images which are 0.5 km resolution!

Ticket ID: PBL-581003
Department: Support McIDAS