[McIDAS #WPD-667222]: Fwd: McIDAS 2017 install

Hi Greg,

re:
> Yes you have the correct fully qualified name.

OK, good.

re:
> Ted tells me there is no
> firewall set up on typhoon. Port 112 and others are completely open to
> users inside the NCAR perimeter.

OK.  I logged onto a Unidata machine that is inside of the UCAR security
perimeter, and was able to replicate your observation:

/home/yoksas% cd $MCDATA
/home/yoksas/mcidas/data% dataloc.k ADD EOLGOESR typhoon.eol.ucar.edu

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
EOLGOESR                     TYPHOON.EOL.UCAR.EDU

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done
/home/yoksas/mcidas/data% dsinfo.k I EOLGOESR
pipe read: Connection reset by peer
    No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: EOLGOESR
DSINFO -- done

re: what is/are the read/write permissions on the script ~mcidas/bin/mcservsh?

> -rwxr-xr-x 2 mcidas mcidas    1132 Mar 15 14:21 mcservsh

OK.  What about the permissions on ~mcidas and ~mcidas/bin?

re: what are the read/write permissions on ~mcidas and ~mcidas/.mcenv?

> drwx------   2 mcadde   mcidas     72 Mar 14 16:16 mcadde
> drwxr-x---  21 mcidas   mcidas   4096 Mar 23 17:11 mcidas

The Unidata guidelines for setting up the user 'mcadde' are very
specific:

- the HOME directory should be the _same_ as the HOME directory for
  the user 'mcidas'

- 'mcadde' should not be a login account

Given your listing, I strongly suggest that the first thing that
you (or Ted) try is to change the setup for 'mcadde'.  I personally
would run:

<as 'root'>
vipw

re:
> -rw-rw-r--   1 mcidas mcidas       591 Mar 23 10:23 .mcenv

I'm thinking that the problem lies completely with the HOME
directory setup for 'mcadde'.

Ticket ID: WPD-667222
Department: Support McIDAS