[McIDAS #IQB-617279]: Fwd: McIDAS-X Access?

Hi Adna,

re:
> I'm a Masters student from Monash University in Australia and contacted
> Becky Shaffer about obtaining access to McIDAS-X so I could create some
> plots for my research (see email response below).
>
> As suggested, I have registered on the Unidata website and have attempted
> to download the McIDAS-X software but get the following error message:
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /downloads/mcidas/index.jsp on this
> server.

The reason for this is that our license to distribute our version of
McIDAS-X (Unidata McIDAS-X) from UW/SSEC puts severe restrictions on who
we can grant access to.  Sites/users who register with a '.edu' email
address are automatically granted download access while other users
need to contact Unidata User Support (like you did with this inquiry)
and we then have to setup access.  For reference, you registered with
our website using the email address 'address@hidden', and
our unrefined check of the address failed because of the '.au' suffix.

re:
> Can I please ask for some assistance in this matter?

Yes, of course.

I have added you (address@hidden) to the list of users/sites that
are allowed download access to Unidata McIDAS-X.  Please try the download
again remembering:

- you must first login to our website

- you should download, build, install and configure the distribution in
  the 'mcidas' account

- you should follow the instructions for build, install and configuration
  in the Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD web pages:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Software -> McIDAS
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/

    Documentation
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/#documentation

      User Guide
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/toc.html

  NB: Attempting to follow the instructions for the SSEC distribution of
  McIDAS-X will result in difficulties as the installation instructions
  are different.

- hopefully, you intend to use Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD on a Linux system

  While we do provide the UW/SSEC Windows distribution of McIDAS-X, that
  distribution does not contain the bug fixes and additions that we make
  to the Linux distribution.

re:
> Many thanks,

You are very welcome.  Please let us know how we can help you with use
of Unidata McIDAS-X.

Ticket ID: IQB-617279
Department: Support McIDAS