[McIDAS #JGN-249914]: IMGMAKE

Hi Mike,

re: COD processing of GOES-16 image tiles sent in the NOAAPort-derived NOTHER
feed

> Short version is we read in the data once, then take all the actions
> we need to take in python afterwards.  So we're only reading in each
> tile once.  Our goal is to visualize each data set once then move on,
> we don't store the tiles after we've visualized them.

OK, thanks for the nice explanation.

re:
> But we do have some concerns regarding efficiency, one of the reasons
> why we're so interested to see how McIDAS will work for us.

OK.  Since you are only visualizing an image once, the ADDE servers I
wrote will be very fast.

re: I personally would stay away from a method that changes the
    underlying file storage

> As would we, which is why we moved away from those ideas.  But as you
> stated, GeoTIFFs do work well for GIS applications, which is partly
> why I think others are doing things this way.

Yup, I would bet that was why that approach was developed.

re: Ryan sent a note to ldm-users some time back

> Good to know, I'll do some digging.

I'd check the ldm-alchemy part of the Unidata section of GitHub.

re: ADDE-served reconstituted images are available right now

> I just fired up IDV and have data!

Excellent.

re:
> We have the latest McIDAS-X from Unidata, which IIRC is based off SSEC
> 2016.1, which should handle the 16 ABI bands.

Yup.

re:
> So if our version can
> read from that ADDE this is a great place to start.

It can.  I routinely display the NPGOESR images hosted on lead.unidata.ucar.edu
at home from both my Unidata McIDAS-X v2016 installation on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
installation on my Odroid U3 single board computer (sweet!) and from Unidata
McIDAS-X v2017 from within the CentOS x86_64 VMware Player VM on my Windows
7 laptop (this is my development environment).

re:
> Otherwise, I
> won't be able to invest much time until next week anyways so the
> timing works out, no worries.

Sounds good.

re;
> Eventually we'd like to point to a local dataset since we get
> everything over NOAAPort.  From what I'm beginning to understand, when
> that time comes the better solution would involve ldm-alchemy as
> opposed to retaining the data in tiles until visualized, is that
> correct?

Correct.

re: VIS channels (bands 1-6, inclusive) for all coverages have a problem
    where the pixels that should be the brightest are mapped to zero

> Oh, we're aware.  Last I heard from some at SSEC was this would be
> addressed sometime in July, but that was a couple of months ago
> already.  By any chance have you heard anything more definitive, or
> just before it goes operational?

Well, I take all of what I hear with a _bag_ of salt mainly since time
frames I have heard in the past have proven to be more fantasy than
reality :-)  With that in mind, I _heard_ from a NOAA contact that the
fix was supposed to be implemented THIS WEEK.  We'll see :-)

re:
> Thanks again!

No worries.

Ticket ID: JGN-249914