[McIDAS #JGN-249914]: IMGMAKE

Hi Mike,
re: I'll implement the RAW -> CalibratedUnit -> BRIT mapping in my code

> Sounds good.

Since the mapping of RAW -> CalibratedUnit is linear, I found it simplest
to derive the bi-linear RAW -> BRIT mapping for brightness for the IR
bands (7-16).  I have put the code in the ~ldm/mcidas2017 directory
on climate.cod.edu for you to grab and install on your test machine.

The file containing updated code is:

ldm@climate:mcidas2017/abisadde.tar.gz

Use the 4 files contained in the gzipped tar file to update what you
have now:

<as 'mcidas' on your test machine>

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2017/src
tar xvzf abisadde.tar.gz

make abisadir abisaget && rm ~/bin/abisa* && ln abisadir abisaget ~/bin

I built and installed the new servers on lead.unidata.ucar.edu if you
want to take a look before diving into installing the new code there.

Comments:

- the IR images are now much brighter, but the full disk displays are not
  as detailed as the displays for images in the GRB

  I am not sure why this is the case.  I have been investigating various
  possibilities, but I haven't come to any defensible conclusions yet.

re:
> As a side note, the next section in that document discusses the square
> root stretch and suggests it should be applied to bands 1-6.  Any
> suggestions on how this could be done in McIDAS?

I studied the SSEC calibration module for the ABI images created by
CSPP GEO from tiles received in the GRB, and see that they are doing
a square root calculation to derive brightness from albedo.  I have
not implemented the same logic in my code yet, but I will be doing so
next.

re:
> And yes, that and several other documents I've been referencing
> haven't been terribly easy to find, and much of what's on the web is
> fairly out of date now.  So it's taken a little hunting to find
> answers to various questions.

The reference you sent along was most helpful!

Please let me now your thoughts on the results of the updated code...

Ticket ID: JGN-249914
Department: Support McIDAS