[McIDAS #HDN-934891]: ERAU ADDE configuration and Conference call to discuss equipment purchase

Hi Chris,

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you yesterday...

re:
> Just a quick reply for now.
>
> Robert and I will start an email discussion on the hardware here and purchase
> options
> we have identified.  I am quite happy to do this by email, as it certainly
> helps keep
> track of what we talk about and decide!

Excellent.  I hate playing phone tag!

re:
> Here is a quick snippet of output for our files.
>
> [herbster@zephyr ~/Downloads]$ cd /opt/wxdata/gempak/images/sat/ERAU/CONUS/
>
> [herbster@zephyr CONUS]$ ll
> total 472
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 ldm data 49152 Oct  6 18:07 CLD/
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 ldm data 49152 Oct  6 18:07 GCH/
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 ldm data 49152 Oct  6 18:07 IR/
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 ldm data  8192 Oct  6 16:56 TSRA/
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 ldm data 49152 Oct  6 18:07 V1/
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 ldm data 49152 Oct  6 18:07 VIS++/
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 ldm data 49152 Oct  6 18:07 WV/
>
> [herbster@zephyr CONUS]$ ls -l VIS++/ | tail
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ldm data 21543408 Oct  6 16:37 VIS++_20171006_2030
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ldm data 21543408 Oct  6 16:46 VIS++_20171006_2037
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ldm data 21543408 Oct  6 16:57 VIS++_20171006_2045
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ldm data 21543408 Oct  6 17:24 VIS++_20171006_2115
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ldm data 21543408 Oct  6 17:32 VIS++_20171006_2125
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ldm data 21543408 Oct  6 17:37 VIS++_20171006_2130
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ldm data 21543408 Oct  6 17:46 VIS++_20171006_2137
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ldm data 21543408 Oct  6 17:55 VIS++_20171006_2145
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ldm data 21543408 Oct  6 18:02 VIS++_20171006_2155
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ldm data 21543408 Oct  6 18:07 VIS++_20171006_2200
>
> All of the data follow a similar pattern of "product"_"YYYYMMDD"_"HHMM"
> This convention seemed to match the pattern that is used in NMAP, which is
> why we
> established it.

OK, we use the same naming scheme here for a variety of satellite imagery.

re:
> While I truly like the offer of having a login to come help locally, I would
> also
> like to "take a stab" at doing some of the configuration myself, so that this
> is not
> entirely a black box that I know nothing about!

OK, no problem.

re:
> I'll reply again later with my comments in line with yours.  Sorry, MS
> Outlook does
> not really like to do that and I just wanted to shoot a quick reply to you.

re:
> PS  Did you actually make a connection to "wxdata"?  (We were wondering if the
> firewall was still open on the campus routers.  I do not think we have
> anything
> listening to the ADDE port right now, but there is a lot of computer magic
> that
> goes on without my knowledge!)

The test I referred to was a long time ago, and I don't remember much more than
it seemed like it took a long time to get image listings, etc. from the server.

Here goes with a simple example of creating an ADDE dataset for one type of
image that you listed above.

The McIDAS command that manipulates (creates, destroys, lists) ADDE datasets
is DSSERVE (actual executable is dsserve.k).  DSSERVE's job is to manipulate
an entry in the ADDE dataset definition file, RESOLV.SRV.  In Unidata
McIDAS for an installation in the 'mcidas' account (which is my recommendation),
RESOLV.SRV will be located in the $MCDATA directory.  The environment variable
MCDATA gets defined when the 'mcidas' account is setup to follow the directions
in the Unidata McIDAS-X User's Guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/toc.html

The instructions for setting up the 'mcidas' account are located in:

Chapter 1 - Installing and Configuring McIDAS-X
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/InstallingandConfiguringMcIDAS-X.html#17470

  Installing McIDAS-X on Unix or Mac OS X Workstations

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/InstallingMcIDAS-XonUnixorMacOSXWorkstations.html

    Preparing the mcidas Account

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html

The operative thing is the inclusion of the clause that sources the file
appropriate for the shell of the user 'mcidas': .cshrc for Cshell like shells,
and  .profile, .bash_profile, or .kshrc for the Bourne shell, BASH, or Korn
Shell, respectively.

In the following, I will assume that you have setup your 'mcidas' account
as recommended, AND that you will be doing the following from an interactive
McIDAS-X session.

1) start McIDAS-X

2) from the text and command window, define an ADDE dataset for one
   type of your images

   Here, I am assuming that the images in the directories that you referenced
   above are in AREA format.  If they are not, for instance if they are in
   GINI format, changes will need to be made to the DSSERVE invocation.

   Here goes:

DSSERVE ADD ERAUPROD/VISPP AREA
DIRFILE=/opt/wxdata/gempak/images/sat/ERAU/CONUS/VIS++/VIS* "ERAU VIS++ images

   Comments:

   - even though the HELP for DSSERVE does not say so, the '+' character is not
     allowed in ADDE dataset names

     Because of this, I named the dataset ERAUPROD/VISPP, not ERAUPROD/VIS++

   - I am a bit surprised that inclusion of '+' characters in the regular
expression
     that is specified in the DIRFILE= keyword does not cause problems as '+'
     is a special character in regular expressions

     You can/should test the DIRFILE= regular expression using the 'ls' command:

     ls /opt/wxdata/gempak/images/sat/ERAU/CONUS/VIS++/VIS*

     If the 'ls' output is not the set of files that you want in your
ERAUPROD/VISPP
     dataset, you need to modify your regular expression.

   - there is _nothing_ magic in an ADDE dataset name, so:

     - choose a name that make sense to you

     - the dataset name is composed of two pieces separated by a '/' character,
       the pieces are referred to as the group and the descriptor:

       ERAUPROD - group name, 8 characters maximum and some characters are not
allowed
       VISPP    - descriptor name, 12 characters maximum and some characters
are not
                  allowed

       The total length of the group, '/' and descriptor must not exceed 21
characters.

   - the text you include after the '"' mark (the quote field), is what gets
listed
     out from the command DSINFO

     For instance:

DSINFO IMAGE ERAUPROD
        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: ERAUPROD

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
VISPP        99999    TEST OF ++ IN NAMES

DSINFO -- done

     Given this, it behooves one to include a decent, but not too long
     description of the dataset in the quote field

   - the more images in an ADDE dataset, the longer it will take to serve
     them

     We tend to store images in daily directories, and, for real time
     datasets, have a 'current' directory that contains the N most
     recent images from the full set.

3) next, test the ADDE dataset that you created

IMGLIST ERAUPROD/VISPP

   This should list abbreviated information for the most recent image
   in the set defined by the DIRFILE= regular expression.  If it does not, then
   there is either an error in the DIRFILE= regular expression, or the
   type of the image is not AREA.

4) Once you have come up with an ADDE dataset naming scheme, and have gained
   confidence in being able to correctly specify needed pieces in a DSSERVE
   invocation, you can group sets of DSSERVE commands together in a McIDAS
   BATCH file

   I have included an example BATCH file (ERAUADDE.BAT) for your consideration
   for all of the types of images that you listed above.

  Again:

  - the names of the datasets that I have chosen are not special
  - there is an implicit assumption that the format of the images are all
    AREA

  One would execute the BATCH file in McIDAS by running the BATCH command:

  BATCH ERAUADDE.BAT

Please let me know if you have questions ** especially when creating
ADDE datasets for images that are not in AREA format.

Ticket ID: HDN-934891
Department: Support McIDAS