[McIDAS #HDN-934891]: ERAU ADDE configuration and Conference call to discuss equipment purchase

Hi Chris,

re: your ADDE server is still wxdata.db.erau.edu
> [#CGH#] Duhh, sorry about that.  It is wxdata.db.erau.edu.  The Groups are
> ERAU, GINIEAST and GINIWEST.

I did a very quick test of access to the ERAU dataset, and it worked nicely
yesterday afternoon.  The dataset I accessed had 100 elements (images), so
the access speed was completely acceptable.

re:
> I will probably add some others from the NOAAPort feed as well.

Perhaps you haven't explored the Unidata McIDAS distribution enough to see
that I included McIDAS BATCH files that are designed to be used to define
one's ADDE datasets (after cloning the BATCH file (copy from the ~mcidas/data
directory to the $MCDATA directory as user 'mcidas' and then modify the
clone(s)).

To see all of the BATCH files included in the Unidata McIDAS distribution
all you need to do is run:

DMAP *.BAT

from an interactive McIDAS session.  The ones designed to be used as templates
for ADDE dataset definitions all have ADDE in their name.

re:
> The Unidata web site lists this machine as having the ERAU group, which is why
> I went with that.

We listed that because you or Fred told us that was the intended name of one of
the ADDE datasets :-)

re:
> Is there a way to query what groups are available as a remote user?

Yes, but in a backdoor kind of way.  ADDE was never meant to provide
discoverability, and that is one of the reasons Unidata embarked on
developing THREDDS.

re: ldmfile.sh
> [#CGH#] I'll check that out.  I wrote one yesterday that gets the last 100
> files in the subdirectory and makes symlinks under a mcidas user path.
> The server seems to be pretty fast now.

Yup, I agree.  Don was the one that prompted me to create the notion of
a 'current' dataset.  The reason was that previously our GINI datasets
(GINIEAST, GINIWEST, GINICOMP) would point at a daily directory, and the
number of images available in "today's" daily directory would grow from
0 immediately after 0Z to the maximum just before the next 0Z and then
were working at/around 0Z, so I came up with the notion of linking the
N most recent images into a 'current' directory.

re: modifying RESOLV.CONF directly
> [#CGH#] I used the command to create the first entry, then made a
> backup copy to the ultimate "Undo!".

Good move :-)  The thing that is easiest to forget is the need for the last
character in an entry to be a ','.  Been there, done that :-)

re:
> [#CGH#] TDS is on the short list.  Is there a benefit to having the data
> via ADDE over TDS?

Both are extremely useful, and so is RAMADDA!  ADDE was written for, and
only supports McIDAS access.  TDS is more generic and, therefore, more
generally useful, but McIDAS-X can not use data served by the TDS.  IDV
and McIDAS-V, on the other hand can access both.  For those applications,
accessing imagery is still _much_ better off of an ADDE server, since the
server does more than just making images/point/grid/text data available,
it provides calibration of image data along with spatial and temporal
subsetting capabilities.  Plus, TDS does not (yet) understand imagery
in AREA format (AREA is an international standard).

re: check out ldm-alchemy before reinventing the wheel

> [#CGH#] Right, that's my plan.  It requires Python > 3.5.  The RedHat repo
> stops
> at 3.4, but I found a solution at: https://ius.io/

OK.

re:
> [#CGH#] I should have the stitched images about the same time you have the
> server!

Yup.

re:
> Bravo!

:-)

re:
> Got to run to class.  Thanks again for the help!

No worries.

Ticket ID: HDN-934891
Department: Support McIDAS