Re: 20000718: NetCDF Java Applet Capable? (fwd)

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: "John R. Cary" <address@hidden>
> >Subject: NetCDF Java Applet Capable?
>
> I have been trying to use the NetCDF package within an applet through
> Netscape .4.7 on Windows.  I have enable UniversalFileAccess, but
> the code still dies.  My code sample is:
>
>         try {  // This must be in the same block?
>           netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege(
>                 "UniversalFileAccess");
>           appendLine("Netscape privileges obtained.");
>         }
>         catch (NoClassDefFoundError ex){appendLine("NoClassDefFoundError");}
>         catch (Exception ex){appendLine("Exception");}
>         appendLine("Will save to file " + fileName + " in directory " +
>                 sliceDir + ".");
>         File netCdfFile = new File(sliceDir, fileName);
>         appendLine("File '" + fileName + "' created.");
>         nc = new NetcdfFile(netCdfFile,
>                                 true, // clobber an existing file
>                                 true, // prefill variable values
>                                 schema // metadata template
>         );
>         appendLine("NetCDF file '" + fileName + "' created.");
>
> The code dies upon the call to NetcdfFile.  The error says only
> "AppletSecurityException".
>
> Is Java NetCDF applet capable within Netscape?
>
> Thanks.....John Cary
>
> --
> address@hidden          John R. Cary        www.techxhome.com
> Tech-X Corporation                           ph.  (303) 448-0728
> 5541 Central Avenue, Suite 135               fax  (303) 448-7756
> Boulder, CO 80301                            cell (303) 356-5399

Hi John:

Im not an expert on this, but I have been investigated applets recently.
One thing Im pretty sure of is that you have to sign your applets before
they can escape from the applet security sandbox.

check out:

http://java.sun.com/sfaq/
http://java.sun.com/security/signExample12/
http://java.sun.com/security/index.html

We are currently exploring a new technology called WebStart that looks
promising:

http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/