Re: Compiling netcdf2.1 (Java)

Donald Denbo wrote:

John,
I got a new copy of Java netcdf (2.1), the latest DODS, and THREDDS. I hadn't looked at version 2.1 in detail and see that you have made a lot of very nice extensions to the netcdf API.

When trying to compile netcdf I ran into two major difficulties. 1) In DODSVariable, DODSNetcdfFile, and DODSAttribute the NoSuchAttributeException is caught but never thrown by the DODS library (are you using a development version?). 2) In ucar.nc2.ui, I found that several classes were not available. These include "IndependentWindow", which I couldn't find anywhere, FileManager was also missing.

My solution was to comment out the try {} catch block's, and to not compile ucar.nc2.ui.

    Any suggestions?

Don

Ugh, the dirty secrets! Not many are compiling from source.

Your workaround is pretty much right.

nathan added some exceptions to some intermediate version of java/dods (beyond the official release), which also had some bug fixes i needed. so i decided to leave them in for now. we talked him into removing those exceptions for the next version, which isnt available yet.

the ui stuff depends on some thredds.ui classes (im having trouble keeping things independent). sounds like you dont need the ui stuff, so leaving it out is fine. ill look at refactoring in next release.

working on a 2.2 version that has hdf5 suport and adds structures, sequences and strings to netcdf data model. probably have beta by May or so. ill announce an alpha interface soon, if you have time to look at it, id appreciate any comments.