To: address@hidden
From: "Makiko Umemoto" <address@hidden>
Subject: netCDF Java - The fill flag does not work in
NetcdfFileWriteable(java.lang.String location, boolean fill)

Institution: US Geological Survey
Package Version: Version 2.2
Operating System: Windows XP
Hardware Information: AMD Athlon(tm) MP
Inquiry: Hi,

I used NetcdfFileWriteable(java.lang.String location, boolean fill) to
create a Netcdf file where the fill flag was set to true. It should
havae first write the data with fill values, but it didn't. Instead, 0
was written to all the data. I tried to make this work by explicitly
setting _FillValue using ncfile.addVariableAttribute("tmax",
"_FillValue", Float.MIN_VALUE);

This did not change anything. How can I make the program prefill data
with fill values?

I am using only two variables as shown below in case you need this info.

dimensions:
    time = UNLIMITED ;
variables:
    int time(time) ;