[netCdfJava #WVX-463093]: How to write to NetCDF from ASCII file without using temporary arrays in java code?

> I create "strLen" dimension of size 255 because I don't know the
> maximum length of strings. I have large size of NetCDF file as a
> result. If I create "strLen" dimension of UNLIMITED length I get an
> error: "Unlimited dimension must be outermost".
>
> Is there any approach to create arrays of dynamic size for
> strings? Or I must to calculate maximum length of string by myself
> before creating NetCDF file?

Nope, there isn't any way to make non-square arrays in netCDF-3. Unfortunately,
this does end up using extra space unless you know all your strings are the
same length. So, yes, your best bet is to calculate the maximum length of the
string before creating the netCDF file.

Ethan

Ticket ID: WVX-463093
Department: Support netCDF Java