[netCdfJava #GHS-962005]: Geoloc functions

Hi Roger:

The ucar.unidata.geoloc package implements a number of projective geometry
transformations, mostly on the sphere. This reflects our original motivation to
support global and synoptic models which have resolutions on the order of
several degrees, so that there was not much point in trying to be more exact in
our geolocation. As models and satellite data resolution has gotten higher, we
have realized the need to specify the datum, etc. We added UTM reletively
recently by building on contributions from Dan Toms (SRI International), using
i think polynomial approximations that make it quite fast. Speed remains an
important concern for us, as we often do the transformations "on the fly". I am
not particularly familiar with what the state of the art here is, nor of all
the subtleties of datums. We have been planning on creating a working subgroup
of the CF Convention group to clarify matters within the context of CF
modeling.

In short, we could sorely use your help in defining exactly how to extend our
current functionality, and in implementing it. It sounds like you are in a good
position to do so, and we would very much like to add your contributions to the
IDV/CDM libraries.

I look forward to hearing more about what you think can be done.

Thanks,
John

Ticket ID: GHS-962005
Department: Support netCDF Java