Re: getDataIterator methods in PointObsDataset

You know you can currently use:

 public List getData( ucar.unidata.geoloc.LatLonRect boundingBox, Date start,
Date end, ucar.nc2.util.CancelTask cancel) throws IOException;

The getDataIterator() will allow certain efficiencies in dealing with very
large datasets. I would advise to get the Iterator on the List you get from
getData(), and use that, so that it will be easy to switch to getDataIterator()
when that is ready. Wont be for some months.

Don Murray wrote:
John-

We need to be able to subset a PointObsDataset by LatLonRect
and time range.  In the IDV, we use the getDataIterator method
to access the data.  I noticed in the source, the following
methods are commented out:

/** Get an efficient iterator over all the data within the specified bounding box.
   * @return iterator over type getDataClass() *
public DataIterator getDataIterator( ucar.unidata.geoloc.LatLonRect boundingBox, int bufferSize) throws IOException;

/** Get an efficient iterator over all the data within the specified boundingbox and date range.
   * @return iterator over type getDataClass() *
public DataIterator getDataIterator( ucar.unidata.geoloc.LatLonRect boundingBox, Date start, Date end, int bufferSize) throws IOException;
  */

What's your timeline on implementing these?

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm