Re: Matlab, NetCDF-C and NetCDF Java?

Rich Signell wrote:
On 10/4/06, John Caron <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Rich:

So you previously were able to load nj22 library and use it directly in matlab, now you are wondering if we could use nj22 to emulate the netcdf matlab library?

Exactly.

Is that "mexcdf"? what makes it machine dependent ? Which API does it implement (netcdf 2, 3 or some variant?)

Unfortunately, it implements *both* netcdf-2 and netcdf-3.

I think Russ' answer is correct, the only thing i would add is that minimal work has gone into the nj22 API for writing files, but we plan to take that up again in the context of netcdf-4 file writing. We may be able to add extentions then.

That would be great.  If we could mimic the functionality of netcdf-2
and netcdf-3 with NetCDF-Java, we could do away with the machine
dependent "mex file" interface, now called "mexnc" (google "mexnc" for
details).

You would still need some glue to translate the mexcdf API into nj22

calls, where would that come from?

mexnc is a gateway routine that could be replaced with a matlab or
java gateway function.  We realize that this would take some
significant (and somewhat tedious) effort, but we think it would be
worth it!

Do you have any thoughts on who could write this part, and how much effort
there is in it?