Re: reading raw (packed) data from NetCDF files and avoiding missing-value check

Hi Jon-

Thanks for the explanation.  It sounds like a method to read
the raw data would be useful or better yet a constructor
to GeoGrid that would take a boolean for not setting missing
data (akin to all the setInvalidDataMissing(), setFillValueMissing()
methods), but still allow the coordinate system enhancements.

Don

Jon Blower wrote:
Hi Don,

The problem is caused by my use of the nj22 library.  In my
application I need to create an image from a NetCDF file as quickly as
possible.  The image will often be of much lower resolution than the
source data, but will not necessarily be in the same coordinate
reference system.

If I want to create a 100x100 image, I need to read at least 10,000
data points.  However, reading 10,000 individual points appears to be
very slow (especially for an NcML aggregation) so I am compromising by
reading chunks of contiguous data at a time.  This means that I often
end up reading considerably more data than I need to make the image.
I perform the necessary interpolation in my application and throw away
the unwanted data.

If I read packed data using an "enhanced" variable, then every single
point is internally checked to see if it is a missing value, and every
single point is unpacked (scale and offset applied).  Through
profiling, I established this to be an expensive operation because it
is being applied to many more data points than I need.  Therefore I
employed a method whereby data are read in their packed form, without
being checked for missing values.  I then perform the check just for
the 10,000 points that I need to plot in my image.  This is
considerably and demonstrably faster, although as with all
optimisation problems, it's a compromise.

Does this clear things up?  As far as changes to the libraries go, it
would be handy to have a method in GeoGrid for reading "raw" (packed)
data as fast as possible, and giving the user the opportunity to
unpack the data later.

Best wishes,
Jon