[netCdfJava #SFA-732859]: Problem with NetcdfFile.makeUncompressed

I have a fix for this (although im not sure if nightly build succeeded). Also,
now it deletes the uncompressed file on failure. However, the old version
didnt, so be sure the user manually deletes that when trying again.

Don Murray Posted on 20070416.1332 MDT
John-

We are running into a problem where a user is storing their
IDD Level II radar files which are a series of compressed
radials with the extension .bz2.  The problem is that
NetcdfFile automatically assumes that the entire file was
BZIP2 compressed, not the individual radials.

So, NetcdfFile.makeUncompressed tries to decompress the entire
file and gets a NullPointerException.  This is a problem with
the other file types (.Z, .gz) as well since there is no checking
to see if the extension actually describes the file structure
correctly.  Maybe if there are errors in any of these uncompress
methods, just the file should be returned and then have the
open fail further up to say it's not a netCDF file?

The problem is that this worked once in the IDV before we moved
to the CDM because we didn't try to automatically uncompress
the files.  Asking the user to rename the files is one option, but
from their point of view, it worked once, why doesn't it work now?

Thoughts?

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm