Re: CF support in netcdf-java

Hi Joe:

There are definitely some areas I dont support. I add support if 1) it has some effect on the correct operation of one of my methods and 2) if I have a real example of it and 3) someone actually wants it.

I do have most of the grid mappings and projections supported, as well as the dimensionless vertical coordinates, as these are needed by the IDV for correct georeferencing. In fact, weve been proposing the addition of new projections, as well as clarifying projection parameters for use in small scale apps like GIS.

Of course, all the CF information is always passed through so that the application can use it if it knows how.

Joe Sirott wrote:
Hi John,

I was wondering what subset of CF the NetCDF java library fully supports -- for instance, are some of the more esoteric metadata (grid mappings and projections) supported? If not, are you planning on adding support for this?

As I've been attempting to support the CF conventions in my software, I've noticed that lots of stuff in CF can't be read by any existing software libraries. While that might be fine if CF is only used as an archive format, it's pretty troubling if CF is to be used as a data exchange format.

Cheers, Joe S