Re: [netcdfgroup] Java-NetCDF map projections...

Tom Rink wrote:

Hi John,

John Caron wrote:
Tom Rink wrote:
Can or will 'VerticalPerspective' support an ellipsoidal earth
like WGS84?

Hi Tom:

VerticalPerspective currently only handles a spherical earth. If you have an example file where you can see the difference, please send it along. Im also not sure if we know what the equations are for elliptical earth.
The GOES-R program is specifying a VerticalPerspective type projection
for an ellipsoidal, WGS84, earth.  There would definitely be differences
at the finer level, though, as you point out, not on a macro scale.   We'll
need to implement this in Java, so if you have no plans to do so, we'll
try to share the code with you.

that would be great. you can look at the existing code in
ucar.unidata.geoloc.projection

BTW, better to send this question to netcdf-java list, which i have cc'd to. netcdfgroup is best for netcdf format and C library questions.
Will do.  Are you the right person to ask questions concerning
how we might add something like this to a list of support projection
and CF-compliant, if possible, metadata description?

yes, but post to netcdf-java list as a rule, unless its something no one else
would likely be interested in.

Tom