Re: NetCDF-Java will soon require Java 1.6?

Huang, Thomas wrote:
Hi John,

We met during last year’s HDF workshop. I hope you still remember me. I was the one who sent you the Groovy program that uses your NetCDF toolkit to dump the metadata header. I was reading your webpage and learned that future NetCDF-Java will requires Java 1.6. Is there specific Java 1.6 feature to be required or is this upgrade just a for performance? I was hoping the source code can still be Java 1.5 compatible, since we are not ready to upgrade to Java 1.6 at PO.DAAC but I would still like to keep up to date with your latest stable changes.

Hi Thomas:

We will soon require 1.6, but not sure exactly when. We want to be able to
start depending on some of the features that come with 1.6. Mostly minor, but
performance and stability are much improved. FYI, we are exploring using 1.7 on
the server, because of the new I/O features.

Im curious what keeps you from upgrading?