Re: BUFR dataset

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, Steve Sullivan wrote:

Hi Robb,

A fellow with the European space agency sent me the attached
BUFR dataset.  My BUFR decoder chokes on it, but I suspect the
dataset is valid.  Would you be willing to run it through your
decoder and send me the output?  If possible, with as much debug
detail as you can get on BUFR descriptors, values, and if
possible even bit offsets into the dataset?

Many thanks,

Steve

--
Steve Sullivan   address@hidden     303-497-2823

FL/2, Research Applications Laboratory
PO Box 3000
Boulder CO  80307
USA

Steve,

per our discussion, the following information should provide the clues for you to solve the problem. Also, as we discussed the ECMWF has a bufr decoder that you should reference as well as the source code for the netcdf-java library. Let me know your results.

Robb...

   short Pressure;
     :units = "Pa";
     :missing_value = 16383s; // short
     :scale_factor = 10.0f; // float
     :BUFR:TableB_descriptor = "0-10-4";
     :BUFR:bitWidth = 14; // int

 data:
java.nio.BufferOverflowException
        at java.nio.Buffer.nextPutIndex(Buffer.java:495)
        at java.nio.HeapByteBuffer.put(HeapByteBuffer.java:145)
        at ucar.nc2.iosp.bufr.BufrIosp.readDataCompressed(BufrIosp.java:442)
        at ucar.nc2.iosp.bufr.BufrIosp.readOneObs(BufrIosp.java:252)
        at ucar.nc2.iosp.bufr.BufrIosp.readData(BufrIosp.java:176)
        at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.readData(NetcdfFile.java:1743)
        at ucar.nc2.Variable._read(Variable.java:939)
        at ucar.nc2.Variable._read(Variable.java:960)
        at ucar.nc2.Variable.read(Variable.java:789)
        at ucar.nc2.iosp.IospHelper.readSection(IospHelper.java:604)
at ucar.nc2.iosp.AbstractIOServiceProvider.readSection(AbstractIOServiceProvider.java:152)
        at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.readSection(NetcdfFile.java:1859)
        at ucar.nc2.ui.NCdumpPane$NCdumpTask.run(NCdumpPane.java:245)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

INFO: thredds.filesystem.CacheManager [ name = directories cacheHits = 0 onDiskHits = 0 inMemoryHits = 0 misses = 0 size = 0 averageGetTime = 0.0 evictionCount = 0 ]
Sep 24, 2009 9:51:26 AM ucar.nc2.iosp.bufr.tables.CodeFlagTables init
WARNING: NumberFormatException on '15-59' for CodeTable 0 11 039 in /resources/bufrTables/codes/Code-FlagTables.xml
EXTRA bits 0 at 1857
EXTRA bits 0 at 2040
EXTRA bits 0 at 2748
EXTRA bits 0 at 3456