[netCDFJava #QDJ-903556]: error when reading grib2 files

Hi Ravi,

> The variable U-component_of_wind has the dimensions time, hybrid, y, x.
> I wanted to get the vertical component of the wind. How do I get it.
> What is hybrid and how is it used.

Our main focus is on support for our software packages to the University
education and research community. We will try to answer your questions when we
can get to them.

A few resources that you might look at for some of this:

1) The NCEP RUC page: http://ruc.noaa.gov/

2) From there I found this article on the hybrid coordinate system used in RUC
at

http://ruc.noaa.gov/pdf/MWR-RUC-model-Sept03-final.pdf

3) You can find some information on how the hybrid vertical coordinate can be
represented in the CF documents in section 4.3.2 "Dimensionless Vertical
Coordinate":

http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.4/cf-conventions.html#dimensionless-vertical-coordinate

and Appendix D. "Dimensionless Vertical Coordinates":

http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.4/cf-conventions.html#dimensionless-v-coord

4) Try googling something like "ruc vertical velocity pressure" for more info
on the vertical velocity.

Hope that helps.

Ethan

Ticket ID: QDJ-903556